Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Frixion or pencil?

Power Poster

Frixion or pencil?

I decided to mark my scalloped border on my quilt top today. Made a template and figured I would use a stencil with a beautiful half circle to get the corners perfect. Now Fixion or pencil....hmmmm? Decided to go with my Frixion pen. Drew one side of quilts scallops and the corner.
    Hmmmmm...what is wrong with this? The corner was beautiful BUT the scallop should come out to the border edge to line up with the rest of the scallops before turning the corner!! FRIXION pen just saved my bacon! If I hadn't used my pen that I can erase the line with the iron, I would be trying to remove pencil marks from the corner of my quilt top. I would sure like to give the inventor a big hug today!

I love frixion pens....but, I only use on light colored fabrics and something that won't be washed (sometimes will leave a fine white line if that is a bit visible if I miss stitching directly on the line)....anything I am going to wash gets washable markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I love frixion pens....but, I only use on light colored fabrics and something that won't be washed (sometimes will leave a fine white line if that is a bit visible if I miss stitching directly on the line)....anything I am going to wash gets washable markers.
    Take a closer look at your light fabrics too ... I find that they will still bleach out on them, even noticed on WOWs! Of course, it requires a good look ... but it's still something to be wary of.

I really like the frixxion pens, and use them a lot ... but do a lot of testing before I choose to use it on the front side of a project.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I am with you Tartan I love the frixon pens!!!!

They are great, but if the item you are marking gets cold, the marks will come back. Ironing them will make them go away again. I am having that problem on a cross stitch Quaker Ball and I decided to mark up the fabric where each motif was going and the mistakes I made in marking came back even after ironing them when I left it in my car over the winter. Make sure you can wash the item if the marks are in an area that won't be covered.
    Laura

I'm another Frixion lover. I use them almost every day. Today, I was using them to mark where to position my ruler for cutting. Since I was cutting on the marked line, it didn't matter about bleaching.

I love the fact that the markings come back with cold. I am making a Redwork BOM that has a rather complicated design that has to be traced on to the fabric. I use the black Frixion pen to trace the design. Then I iron a sheer interfacing to the fabric so that my knots will not show through. Now my design is gone! A quick trip to the freezer and the design is back, ready for embroidery. I love those Frixion pens!

Earlier posts about Frixion pens have mentioned that once the completed quilt is washed, there should be no problems with bleached lines and so on.

Blog Entries
    I'm one that doesn't care if the ink will cause a problem years down the road. If the quilt makes it to be vintage, then someone will say Oh, look the quilt was marked with the pens everyone used back then! LOL
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    Earlier posts about Frixion pens have mentioned that once the completed quilt is washed, there should be no problems with bleached lines and so on.
    This has been my experience. When i use them on dark blue fabric, ironing them away leaves a white line, but when I wash it, all traces of the line disappear.

Blog Entries
    Here's a blog with lots of info! Mostly favorable.

http://mythreesonsknit.blogspot.com/...s-warning.html
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie