Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Frixion Piliot Pens

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Pilot-FriX...item256520def0

I just ordered one and for $3.50 including shipping if they don't work I am not out a bunch!! Thought I would pass this on as it seems to be a hot topic on here right now.

Blog Entries
    Got mine at Target. 3 for under 6. Office stores carry them too. I also got one from Amazon when I was looking for a filler so I could get free shipping.

Just got mine today from Office Max. 3 pens in 3 colors for $5.49. Anxious to try them.

They are awesome.... heat from iron removes it. Hope it doesn't creep back up on us after a few washings lol. They were selling them at the Maine Quilt show last month for $2.50

I bought a couple at Michael's.

Blog Entries
    If you check previous posts, you will find that the heat removes the lines but when exposed to cold, they reappear! Test a piece of fabric before you use them on a masterpiece!

as long as you wash the quilt after you use the pens they will wash out forever and never return regardless of the temperature

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Pilot-FriX...item256520def0

I just ordered one and for $3.50 including shipping if they don't work I am not out a bunch!! Thought I would pass this on as it seems to be a hot topic on here right now.
    This is kind of high for right now. Everyone has them on sale for back to school. CVS Pharmacy had them last week buy one pkg of 2 get one pkg free. The package was $4.49. So I got 4 pens for $4.49. And now shipping, no waiting!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    still not sure why you would use them on a quilt...especially since they really might come back...

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I will keep this in mind if I can't find them locally :D:D:D

Walgreens has them on sell right now...2 for 1.99

Banned
    I read on one of the quilt sites that a well known quilter had done an exhaustive test on these pens and the conclusion was not good. I'm trying to find the post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    as long as you wash the quilt after you use the pens they will wash out forever and never return regardless of the temperature
    Yes, thank you for saying that. I've been using them for about 6 months and have had wonderful luck with them. So much easier to mark a quilt with than chalk or any of the other markers and pens!!

I was told today during a guild meeting that the ink markings would reappear if the item was chilled. Put a smaill block in the freezer for about 2 hours (forgot about it until after dinner out), and sure enough, the mark that had disappeared had returned. Magic!!! Another later post says that if the item is washed, it will not come back. Haven't checked that yet, but the chilling does result in return of markings. Now, my question, if I don't store my quilts in the freezer, or plan to get stranded on the interstate during a blizzard, is this really a problem? That's a judgement call. For me, I plan to mark a block in some freehand fashion, press it and have it disappear, and then wash the puppy. Never hurts to be safe.

Thank you all for letting me know that they are available locally at a better rate. Right now I am stuck at home with a terrible ear problem that I am going on 9 days with and several trips to the doctors and am beginning my own pharmacy in meds and still can't clear it up so I haven't been out seeing what is available. You can bet tomorrow bumping into things (equilibrium is way off) or not I will be checking those back to school specials and doing the marking, ironing, washing, then freezing thing.

Awesome imput--thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I read on one of the quilt sites that a well known quilter had done an exhaustive test on these pens and the conclusion was not good. I'm trying to find the post.
    Yup, I read the same thing. She did exhaustive testing, including washing, and it did come back. It didn't leave the fabric, according to her testing. She really did a thorough job.

I'm of the opinion why take a chance? There are much better items that have been around many years for us to use.

I tested them yesterday,,,,,,,,,, the iron did remove all the marks, and the piece of fabric is in the freezer as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by grayladym
    I was told today during a guild meeting that the ink markings would reappear if the item was chilled. Put a smaill block in the freezer for about 2 hours (forgot about it until after dinner out), and sure enough, the mark that had disappeared had returned. Magic!!! Another later post says that if the item is washed, it will not come back. Haven't checked that yet, but the chilling does result in return of markings. Now, my question, if I don't store my quilts in the freezer, or plan to get stranded on the interstate during a blizzard, is this really a problem? That's a judgement call. For me, I plan to mark a block in some freehand fashion, press it and have it disappear, and then wash the puppy. Never hurts to be safe.
    Missouri Star Quilt had a video on the latest items they found at a quilt market and these pens were one of them. They joked that they heard if you live "south of the artic" that the markings could come back. But that the markings should disappear completely after washing.

I bought all the roller ball and highlighter colors of the Frixion pens.

They DO all return if they're exposed to freezing temperatures (as in the cargo hold of a plane when you ship the quilt) but the inks all wash out with just a light hand washing.

I think that a thorough washing in the washing machine would do even better.

You'd think that the ironing would permanently set the ink, but after washing and air-drying there was no trace of the markings and even freezing did not cause any trace of the ink to re-appear.

Test everything yourself of course. For myself, I've decided that they're just about perfect for marking fabric cuts, applique' placement, measurements for borders and quilting guidelines. I love them and I'm done using pencil, chalk and ceramic markers to the greatest extent possible.

Got mine at Walgreen's and have seen them in office supply stores. I have tried to get them to fail, but no sorree! Work every time.......

Their site says that the line may return after it gets below 14 F

I live in the Rio Grand Valley and if it gets that cold down here we are in trouble...