Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated and confused :( >

Frustrated and confused :(

Frustrated and confused :(

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
Are the doll quilts "made to scale" like a regular minature? i.e. the binding.....
Not really, but on doll stuff you try to get as close as possible so things look approximately in proportion. On most doll quilts, a standard 1/4" binding will look fine. Typical doll houses are 1/12th scale, though, so quilts for doll houses need special handling in order to get the tiniest binding possible. I won't give those directions here, but I'll try to outline my rather unusual binding process. I use it because it helps make my bindings go on faster and more accurately without glitches -- on regular quilts as well as doll quilts!

I heavily starch the binding fabric before cutting; this makes the cuts more accurate.

I do not trim the quilt sandwich before applying binding. Instead, I mark the cutting line (not the sewing line!) on the quilt top with a Sharpie permanent marker (so the marker won't bleed later when the quilt is washed). For me, this line is usually 1/4" from the sewing line. After marking the Sharpie line, I machine baste about 1/8" inside the Sharpie line to fasten all layers of the quilt sandwich edges together (and check the underside before proceeding, to make sure there are no tucks along the edge).

To sew on the binding, I match the cut edges of the binding with the Sharpie line on the sandwich and sew 1/4" in. When mitering corners, you match to the Sharpie line rather than the quilt edge. Only after the binding is sewn on satisfactorily (I check everything again at this point) do I trim all the layers to 1/4" or whatever width makes the binding fold nicely to the other side.

This is a good method for doll quilts because it pretty much ensures good edge handling. The technique can be modified for dollhouse scale quilts to produce a 1/8" binding, but I won't post those modifications here.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
I have my doll quilt all finished.....layered together ready to be quilting but everything I try on my practice area is not turning out well. I am pretty sure I dont have the proper attachments, but I HAVE to get this done it is my doll quilt for my amazingly wonderful partner gai!

Ok so it is squares and I just have my normal basic sewing machine no extra attatchments or anything. I just have the regular foot that I sewed my pieces together with. I am having a hard time with the starting and stopping. Is there any way I can do this as it is? I am just feeling SO frustrated cuz it is not how i want it to be!

Please help!
Since you don't have a walking foot, I just wonder if you would loosen the pressure of the foot (the screw is somewhere at the TOP of the machine above the presser foot) if that might help the foot get over the thickness of the quilt easier.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Turns out I DID have the walking foot... I just had no clue what it was. Gai bless her heart... looked up my model sewing maching and I did SID and I got it finished today!!! It is not perfect by any means but I am pretty darn proud. I think it turned out much better than I even expected it to! :) I appreciate so much all of you wonderful ladies and all of your tips. I would truly be lost without you all! :D :D :D :D
Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Prism99 - Thank you for the info. I will try this method. Guess I'd better get off this "walking foot" topic :-)