Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated with quilt >

Frustrated with quilt

Frustrated with quilt

Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Step back and punt. Put a sashing strip (coping strip) around the small blocks so that they will be the same size as the large blocks, put them all together and you will have a luvschoc67 original. I bought a Fons and Porter magazine for a particular pattern and discovered that all of the pattern was not in the magazine--so I had to draw it freehand and believe me, I'm no artist. But it turned out fine. However, now it is a froggyfowler original. froggyintexas
Old 08-19-2014, 04:01 AM

Have you checked with Fons and Porter to see if there was a correction to the pattern?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 AM

Just thinking: have you checked to see if there are corrections listed to that pattern? I make a test of all F & P blocks after several "mishaps" that had nothing to do with my skills or understanding. Just sayin'. That's a frustration no one needs. Here's hoping you find a good, easy solution.
Edit: Illinois beat me to the post!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjr View Post
I know you are frustrated. Two suggestions Put it away for a while. in the mean time do something fun. As you progress in your quilting you will learn more and new techniques. Then it might go easier or make sense. Secondly, without seeing pics and not knowing the pattern i would suggest bordering the small blocks to bring them up to larger size(use background or similar fabric.). I personally find F&P patterns from magazines to be a definite challenge.
I agree with cjr. Sometimes when you are a beginner quilt, you find yourself with a more difficult project. It would be like me trying to cook a Julia Child's recipe: definitely outside my cooking skills .

Put everything for this project away and start on something else. Then when you have added to your knowledge, then go back to it. I had a MAJOR problem with doing yo-yos in a F&P magazine. When I used their template, the yo-yos didn't come anywhere near to the size that was displayed in the pattern in their magazine. Went to look to see if there was a error posted and was amazed with how many mistakes were listed !! All I could think of was the old carpenter's saying, measure twice, cut once. GOOD LUCK and hang in there.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:00 AM

I recently was making a Hunter's Star project that was from the Love of Quilting magazine and ran into a problem. My solution was to pack up the project and go to my local quilt store and ask for help. I went at a rather 'slow time' so the very helpful clerk/teacher had time to help me. (You could also ask for an ad hoc appointment time.) I was then able to come home and proceed with the project. I have to say, though, that I am dismayed at some of the merchandising techniques in the industry. I feel that if I buy one of these expensive rulers that I should have full instructions for making the project. I should not have to buy an additional CD presentation to do a project. Some of these designers have great ideas but try to take advantage of quilters with the 'additional sizes or instructions'. It is no wonder that quilters share their rulers rather than purchase their own.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 AM

you ladies are amazing... always finding resources to help
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM

I also would either add borders to the small pieces..or buy more material and make bigger pieces..the smaller ones can always be used in a scrape quilt later..and also maybe u could ask someone else who quilts to look at the blocks and directions and they might see what the problem is..Sometimes one person reads the direction different than another person..I just did that when making the card trick pattern..I was so mad at it..My friend looked at it..my pattern said 4 5/8 when was suppose to be 5 5/8 ..I had read it a dozen times and did not see it..I was o upset with it all..
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Put it to the side for a bit. You are of a mindset now that you can't fix it and that will continue to frustrate you. Since you are a bit of a beginner, do another project that is a bit easier. Finishing it will start to rebuild your confidence. As you become more skilled, solutions to set aside projects often come to us. Or, if not a solution, another use for the squares - perhaps even splitting the squares into a couple different projects. Hang in there, we have all had projects that made us doubt our sanity!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

when i start a new pattern i make a sample block before i cut into my good fabric!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM

I just pieced a wonky star medallion to attach to a shower curtain and for the first time I made a sample block. I found it very helpful since I have always been intimidated by stars and I did find a couple of errors on my sample that helped me get the "real" blocks right the first time.