Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun & Done with 4 patch posies >

Fun & Done with 4 patch posies

Fun & Done with 4 patch posies

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Does anyone know if I could make a fun and done method quilt using the 4-patch posie method for the blocks. I'm not sure how I would sew them down to the batting and backing.

I'm just at the wondering stage right now and could use some insight.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
MTS
Banned

Do you mean Quilt As You Go?

You could make the blocks, and then sandwich them with batting and batting, quilt them as you want, trim them square, and then join them to other blocks using a QAYG method.

There are many.

I just ran across this video - this is part 7, but if you back up to Part 6, that should be where you've got the 4PP done and now need to start the QAYG process.

It's all a variation of the same method. And even though I have NO idea who the heck this lady is, she's actually pretty good. It's a bit slow because she's not editing out the down times.

And her method is very similar to the one I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kejYnewPIgQ

Take the time to understand what's she's doing, and you'll find it's an incredibly versatile option.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM

The videos I've see for fun and done show that you do the piecing and quilting at the same time. If you want to do the 4 patch posies, you would already have the piecing done, and you would be just doing the quilting as you sewed the 3 layers together. Just make sure your posie squares are the same size as the batting and fabric template in the fun and done set. Then cut your batting with the template and the backing with the other template. Stack them together and following the fun and done directions and quilt together. After you get all the blocks done that way, join the blocks together the fun and done way.
As usual, I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm probably as clear as mud! lol
Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the video. It was helpful.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ctack2
The videos I've see for fun and done show that you do the piecing and quilting at the same time. If you want to do the 4 patch posies, you would already have the piecing done, and you would be just doing the quilting as you sewed the 3 layers together. Just make sure your posie squares are the same size as the batting and fabric template in the fun and done set. Then cut your batting with the template and the backing with the other template. Stack them together and following the fun and done directions and quilt together. After you get all the blocks done that way, join the blocks together the fun and done way.
As usual, I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm probably as clear as mud! lol
ctack2, Thanks for your help. I do understand what you are saying as I've made a fun and done quilt this past winter. Now, if I can figure out how to do the posie squares. :-) I have the size figured out so now just have to try it. What bothered me was with the fun and done way I did before I would quilt it as I went along sewing on each piece. But, this way that would not happen. So, I'll have to be careful to get the 4 posies centered and not let them move while I try to quilt it.

I do not know how to do regular quilting, so I will have to figure out something. I will be using the sewing machine to do it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

:| Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
MTS
Banned

[quote=Bonlou]
Originally Posted by ctack2
So, I'll have to be careful to get the 4 posies centered and not let them move while I try to quilt it.
But you don't. That's the beauty of the method.

Make your 4PP however you normally would.

Let's say it comes out to 7" unfinished.

For your batting and backing, cut 8" or 9" squares.

Put your block on top, and quilt away, whether FMQ or straight rays, or circles, or WHATEVER you want to quilt.

Then you trim the little sandwich block to a perfect 7". The extra batting/backing is tossed.

When you've got all the blocks quilted and trimmed, then you can lay them out so they are pleasing to your eye.

And then use the method demonstrated in the video, or one you've used before.

And if you're really hesitant about the quilting, you could probably get away with just SITD on the seam lines - a big cross. Another option is a nice wavy stitch if your machine has one (similar to the Bernina #4) which could create interest on the front AND the back.

I would probably stay stitch around the little sandwich if that were all the quilting, just so I don't have anything flapping and getting caught while attaching the sashing strips.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM

MTS,

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm ready to start a sample block and see how it works out. :D

Just wish I had more time...wow, the time sure does fly when you're having fun!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM

If you're going to do it the fun and done way, remember to trim the backing 1 inch bigger on each side than the top and batting after you do the quilting.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks. I'll do that. I had to go to the store so I picked up a little piece of material to experiment with. We will see how it turns out.

Blessings,
Bonnie