Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Fuse or not to Fuse?

Has anyone ever used Pellon Fusible Fleece as their batting for a wall hanging?

I'm thinking about applying fusible fleece to the backing to prevent puckers and wrinkles as I machine quilt, but thought I had better ask the experienced quilters, before I tried it.

Banned
    i use it exclusively in all the handbags that i make but i've never used it in a quilt.

my problem with using it in a quilt is if the quilt is bigger than the fleece width you have to piece it together and i don't like to piece my batting together.

Blog Entries
    I have never tried using this product.
    But, I am glad you asked the question.
    I will be anxious to learn, too!!
    :D :D :D :D :D

I've used it in placemats and table runners as batting...but I did not fuse it...just used it like normal batting...
    Hope this helps.
    K

Blog Entries
    What is pellon fusible fleece ? :oops:

Banned
    its just a fusible batting that adheres really well to fabric.

i like to use it in handbags because it provides a lot of structure and the bags always hold the shape.

Blog Entries
    Thanks , that is why I love this board I learn something everyday ! :lol: But you say better for smaller projects so you don't have to piece together. Cost wise is it similiar to warm n natural batting ? Works the same ? I stick to amller quilts usually :wink:

Banned
    its cheaper than warm and natural/white. i buy it by the bolt when joann has a coupon.

i pay like $45 for the bolt with the 50% coupon.

a bolt is 20 yards by 45 inches.

its 100% polyester so if you like natural fibers in your quilt this product is not for you.

i don't think joining batting is a bad thing per say - its just that people buy my quilts and i just don't feel right about doing that.

Blog Entries
    I understand that, but like I said I try to stay on the smaller size with the quilts . But I do like the way warm and natural feels and looks.. but gonna have to check this out anyways Thanks for all the help :lol:
    Sharon

I used it once. I found it hard to quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltntime

I'm thinking about applying fusible fleece to the backing to prevent puckers and wrinkles as I machine quilt, but thought I had better ask the experienced quilters, before I tried it.
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I bought this heavy Pellon fleece at Wall Mart for $3.97 yd.

I read on another site that Joann's has a fusible fleece that's extremely hard to quilt with, so you might stay away from that one.

I'm going to quilt a sample before I use it on my large wall hanging. It will be a great find, if it works!

Klue, is that the only thing you use between the top fabric and the lining of a bag? I make bags but have not used it before.

Banned
    yes 90% of the time its the only thing between the outer and inner fabric.

if i'm working with silk, other difficult fabrics, or i really want the bag to hold an odd shape - i'll use a product called Fuse A Shade.

its a thin but firm non-woven fusible product. i'll put that on first and then i fuse the Pellon Fusible Fleece over it.

i also put the pellon fleece in the straps of the bags.

Thanks! Can you get Fuse A Shade at JoAnn's?

Banned
    yes, you can get it by the yard or the bolt. i buy the bolt with the 50% coupon.

you'll only find it at the joanns that has a home dec dept though - if not the website might carry it.

Blog Entries
    I have had some problems with the fusible fleece wrinkling the fabric when ironed. I read somewhere to sew interfacing to the fabric and then fuse the fleece to that to prevent the wrinkling.

Banned
    you have to make sure the steam is off on your iron and don't even have water in the tank.

then you have to lay the iron down and leave it there for a few seconds, do not move it around, then lift it up and place it down again in the next location, do not move it around, try to make a little overlap between pressing sections that way you adhere all the sections.

if you're working with thin or difficult fabrics (silk, t shirt, etc) use the fuse a shade first then put the fleece down.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i use it exclusively in all the handbags that i make but i've never used it in a quilt.

my problem with using it in a quilt is if the quilt is bigger than the fleece width you have to piece it together and i don't like to piece my batting together.

I only have 2" overlap on each side of the top before quilting. I usually like to have about 4". Do you think the fleece width would be sufficient? Like you, I don't like to piece batting together.

Banned
    2" over is fine - the fusible batting doesn't shrink up too much when quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    2" over is fine - the fusible batting doesn't shrink up too much when quilted.
    You're a world of knowledge! It's really nice to have quilting resources so close for any problems. Thank you so much! :-)

Do you have a website?i

Banned
    i do have a website but its not devoted to quilting at all. the site is devoted to healthy eating and exercise. i used to own a health club in NY and the people on my site are following weight watchers and i help them with exercise rotations and marathon training.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I bought this heavy Pellon fleece at Wall Mart for $3.97 yd.

I read on another site that Joann's has a fusible fleece that's extremely hard to quilt with, so you might stay away from that one.

I'm going to quilt a sample before I use it on my large wall hanging. It will be a great find, if it works!
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
    I quilted a sample with the fusible fleece, and it quilted beautifully! Hope it works as well on my large wall hanging as it did on the sample. :thumbup:

Banned
    thats good news - i'm sure you'll have the same results on the wall hanging.

don't forget to post pics of the wall hanging when its done.

I can't wait to see it. Most of my projects are bigger but I would like to try it if I make any more wall hangings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast