Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting #2 >

Fusible batting #2

Fusible batting #2

Old 01-22-2023, 06:24 PM

Try the pool noodle method. There's numerous YouTube videos. Use 505 in small quantities on the batting only.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use Hobbs fusible quilt batt. I lay my backing on my old carpet in the basement the I can iron on. I lay down the batt and smooth it out with my hands, I lay the quilt top down and start ironing from the center out. Once the top is fused, I put safety pins around the edge to hold the sandwich together. I then flip the whole sandwich over and iron the back from the centre out. I make sure the back is perfectly smooth and fused and reposition the pins if the edges have travelled. Ti flip the sandwich right side up and start quilting. There may be a few wrinkles in the front but I can smooth those out with the iron if needed when quilting. It is quite a job but then so is glueing a sandwich with Elmers washable glue. Good luck.
Awesome - wonderful tip. Thank you
Old 02-11-2023, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
I'm with GingerK, press, not iron. I used Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible for years. Does not make the quilt hard. Washes well.
I started using pool noodles to roll my quilt top or back out of the way and then spray baste, roll toward me and spray and so on. I have two folding tables i use to put the quilt on for this. I'd never get up off the floor!
now i use good spray basting. I bought a bad one and it sprayed all over my floor. too wide of a spray. I tossed that one! spray going across the quilt and back and down. like using hair spray. Not too much in one place.
Can you recommend a brand (spray baste)?

(And, you said it so much nicer than Ginger. I guess we're friendlier down here . . . )