Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting #2 >

Fusible batting #2

Fusible batting #2

Old 01-20-2023, 06:33 PM

Default Fusible batting #2

Fusible batting

So how do you get the fabric to stay in place without wrinkles while fusing the batting to the fabric AND do you fuse both sides or just on one side? Have never tried fusible as I have no idea on this. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:00 PM

Fusible batting will make your quilt very stiff. Have you tried Elmer’s washable school glue? Thin it slightly then drizzle it on the batting then use a warm iron to attach your top to the batting then flip over and do the same for the backing. Drizzle thin lines so you don’t get clumps. Smooth out wrinkles when you iron it. When dry, set and then quilt away. The glue will wash out when you launder it. There are some good you tube videos on how to do this. I did it for years before I got my mid arm. Had an old ping pong table that I used worked great.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I use Hobbs fusible quilt batt. I lay my backing on my old carpet in the basement the I can iron on. I lay down the batt and smooth it out with my hands, I lay the quilt top down and start ironing from the center out. Once the top is fused, I put safety pins around the edge to hold the sandwich together. I then flip the whole sandwich over and iron the back from the centre out. I make sure the back is perfectly smooth and fused and reposition the pins if the edges have travelled. Ti flip the sandwich right side up and start quilting. There may be a few wrinkles in the front but I can smooth those out with the iron if needed when quilting. It is quite a job but then so is glueing a sandwich with Elmers washable glue. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:22 AM

I use the Elmer's school glue stick (I use the clear not the purple - as I don't want to chance the purple to stain if it might) - I like it because it isn't as messy as the liquid Elmer's. I just put lines of it on the batting and smooth down the fabric. Once I do both sides, I double check to get wrinkles out, it pulls up easily and can be repositioned with another swipe of the glue stick.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:41 AM

I think there is a terminology problem in many of these answers. One does not 'iron' fusible batting. To 'iron' implies moving the iron around and that would certainly cause fused wrinkles or stretched fused areas. One 'presses' fusibles, holding the iron one spot for a few seconds, then lifting and moving the iron to the next spot.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:05 AM

I'm with GingerK, press, not iron. I used Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible for years. Does not make the quilt hard. Washes well.
I started using pool noodles to roll my quilt top or back out of the way and then spray baste, roll toward me and spray and so on. I have two folding tables i use to put the quilt on for this. I'd never get up off the floor!
now i use good spray basting. I bought a bad one and it sprayed all over my floor. too wide of a spray. I tossed that one! spray going across the quilt and back and down. like using hair spray. Not too much in one place.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:50 AM

I tried fusible batting, but it took waaaay too long. I prefer 505 spray baste. I lay my quilt out on the floor and peel the top and batting back to the middle. Spray the backing, then pull the batting down onto it. Then spray the batting and pull the top down onto it. Repeat for the other side. Then I baste all the way around the edges by machine, and put a few pins in.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:39 PM

I glue baste all my quilts using Elmers Washable School Gue. Fast easy. Don't have to crawl around on the floor, worry about over spray, or poking my fingers with pins. Just love my orange pool noodles!! lol
Old 01-21-2023, 01:00 PM

Ha! I got my fusible batting and spray confused. I did both. love basting spray the best. Sorry for confusion. but both are easy. i do half my quilt, then push that over the edge of table and do the other. still did find after washing the fusible batting did fine. must depend on maker.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:45 AM

Has anyone used this fabric? I would like to make an I Spy for a friend that hunts dinosaurs with his parents.