Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Batting >

Fusible Batting

Fusible Batting

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

I only used the fusible once on a table runner and didn't really like it. Bought it from Joann's. Believe it was the June Taylor brand. Cannot imagine using it on a big project.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM

I've used the Fusiboo bamboo fusible batting and it sewed just fine. But I don't like the hassle of prying it apart when it comes out of the package and trying to flatten it enough to fuse smoothly. Maybe there's something I don't know about how to do this, but I've gone back to pinning on most things.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM

I've used the Walmart fusible batting twice on kid quilts with good results (machine quilted on a frame). My needle and machine are just fine before, during and after quilting.

I can't pin because of hand problems, so this is an excellent alternative. My other alternative is basting spray. Great stuff, very handy!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

JoAnns carries a Pellon Fusible Fleece. Many of our customers use it for placemats & table runners----in addition to totes. I've never used it for a quilt.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM

I did try the fusible batting , but once I discovered spray basting , I never used it again. I found it was tough to fuse a full size quilt or larger with the fusible batting... and it was more work than spray basting.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM

I use fusible batting for practically every project I do that requires batting. I especially like it because there is no waste, you can fuse it in sections and feel secure about it. I never have a problem with the needle gumming up. I always use teflon sheets when I'm fusing so I don't get any of the glue on my iron or ironing board. I only use one type though, it's pricey but my success with it makes it worth it - Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece. I get it at Joanns.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM

I just got some to use for the first time and it did not want to fuse! Perhaps I was doing something wrong....maybe not enough heat in my iron. To me it just seemed stiff. I'll use it up, but don't think I will get it again.