Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Batting >

Fusible Batting

Fusible Batting

Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Fusible Batting

Has anybody used the fusible batting? Did you like it? Any pros or cons?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

I did not like it, makes the quilt too stiff. Just my opinion
Old 04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathy6696 View Post
I did not like it, makes the quilt too stiff. Just my opinion
There are different stiffness levels ... yes some is quite stiff, and some is quite "wimpy" and flexible ... just helps give some body.

I used it when making a purse.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 PM

only use it for purses. I have enough trouble getting it to stick sometimes that I think a whole quilt would be a disaster waiting to happen
Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible batting. I can finally FMQ without getting wrinkles on the back of my quilts. One drawback, you need a large area to iron it on the quilt. I use my basement carpeted floor because I like to lay my back out full, place the batt on top of it and then smooth out my top on top. I iron the top, flip over the sandwich and iron the back. One word of caution: the fusible is water solvable so be careful not to use steam when you iron the sandwich together.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

the fusable batts vary manufacturer by manufacturer- some are much nicer & work better than some others. for the most part they are convienient.
the fusable washes away when the quilt is quilted/bound & laundered- so any stiffness from the fusable disappears leaving a nice soft quilt.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM

I tried it twice, and each time had trouble getting it to fuse. It may have improved since I tried it last . Finally I discovered spray basting , it was one of the best discoveries I ever had. Sooo much better than the fusible batting( my experience and opinion).
Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM

I've used the Walmart fusible batting several times on up to twin size quilts. It does make the quilt feel a bit stiff, but I suspect that after a few washings that problem will be gone.

I fused it on my regular ironing board. It's time consuming (what isn't?) but definitely saved me a lot of time with quilting. No puckers on the back, so I didn't have to rip out quilting - at least because of puckers.

Now I spray baste and get good results.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 PM

I think sometimes people confuse fusible "fleece" with fusible "batting". The fleece is stiffer and not normally used in large quilts as far as I know (I say not normally because as soon as I say it isn't used in quilts someone will come by and say they use it all the time with good results). I've used it in wall hangings and purses but never in a regular quilt. I have used Hobbs 80/20 batting and it works just fine for me although as mentioned before me it helps to have space to iron.

Last edited by virtualbernie; 04-21-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 AM

I've used it a couple of times but only for placemats and table runners. My opinion is that it's just O.K. That being said, I'd never use it for a quilt.