Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My GREAT Yard Sale, FW and Table

Blog Entries

My GREAT Yard Sale, FW and Table

Went to a yard sale, Sat.. walked up and there was a featherweight and the card table, plus the case. I ask how much she wanted for it..Lady next to me said I just bought it. I had to ask for how much......oh no, $15.00 for all of it....my heart dropped. Walked around for awhile looking, listening to the ladies, her asking about prices and then asking husband if it was O.K. to buy....Well, I stuck my neck out and asked the husband if he wanted to make a pofit on the sewing machine and table...whispering very low...he said yes, my heart pounding....said I would offer $50.00....he accepted, ask me to meet him at the grocery store parking lot....down I went to the lot, waiting, waiting, waiting....Oh no he's not coming..then here comes the van...we exchange money and items. Here's the funny part.."he says they sure did mess up that card table, I would have liked that but I guess I would have had to glue that piece, for it to work". Did I do the right thing, I did save the FW table from being glued..Oh the machine works, has a white cord and the light toggle is broked, but that can be fixed and the table is in good shape she was born in 1950..will try to post pictures later. I wanted the table for my FW, will give the FW to my sister.

Blog Entries
    I don't know that much about a FW. But, I'd say you did pretty good!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I think you did great!!!! I guess the wife wasn't all that interested in it after all.

You did great! A good FW is worth its weight in gold. How come I never find deals like that? LOL

Blog Entries
    I paid $300 for my FW and no case nor table. You saved your FW and table a fate worse than death. Good Save!

I don't understand... did you go behind the wife's back and make a deal with the husband? I wouldn't feel right about this unless the wife was on board with the re-sale. I would have asked her, since she's the one who bought it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, this morning, while you were listening to the local news, were there any reported incidents of a wife doing-in her husband over a FW and table? Yes, you got a good deal but I do think it was a bit underhanded.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Oh my gosh, what a great find!! Congrats!!!!

yes you got a great deal, but what about the wife? I bet she thought she was getting even a better deal, I may have aproched the wife but not the husband, he may not have known about the table or machine but wife may have. I would feel so guilty I couldn't even use the machine without feeling bad for the wife.

What? I really hope I'm missing something! Did the husband sell you the machine/table without his wife knowing/agreeing? I'll reserve comment until I'm sure I understand...

Good for you! That Featherweight and the table didn't deserve to be owned by someone who didn't know that they were so wonderful.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Yep, I'd have done the same thing! Card table was more than worth the 50....... Great job!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    hahahaaaaaaaa. now thats funny.. NO way would my hubby ever sell something that was mine- Hes not insensitive.. Not to mention his bass boat would be on craigslist in a heartbeat if he ever did!!!! lol... We dont know the whole tale ladies & gents- maybe the couple who originally bought it has a re-sale shop and they BOTH agreed to make a profit.. Maybe it was HIS hobby and the wife made claimes as to new ownership on his behalf... Either way you got a great deal.. and obviously it was meant for you to be the proud owners not them or he never would of showed up..

AWESOME deal! And I'm nearly peeing my pants that you got a TABLE WITH IT!!!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Oh my gosh, what a great find!! Congrats!!!!
    DITTO Ditto wow oh wow what a deal. I don't think the wife even knew what she had bought or hubby would have been 6' under, and not able to show up to sale it to you. JMHO
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I don't understand... did you go behind the wife's back and make a deal with the husband? I wouldn't feel right about this unless the wife was on board with the re-sale. I would have asked her, since she's the one who bought it.
    I took what you wrote this way too and I have to say if this is how it transpired...I think it was underhanded and unfair. If I were that wife I would be angry to the point of tears. Just sayin'.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

You coveted what was not yours! You went behind the wife's back by talking to her husband, in all probablity, knowing he didn't know what his wife had bought. You were sneaky, coniving and underhanded in what you did. It was just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You didn't go to the wife who bought the machine in the first place because you KNEW she got a bargain. You will answer for this. Hope you enjoy your machine, knowing you got it in such a deceitful manner.