Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting >

Fusible batting

Fusible batting

Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rachel
I use it for bags and small projects, but never used it for quilts.
I think it gets stiffer after it is ironed on. I use it for totes that I want to stand on their own and not be limp but not for quilts that I want to be comfy soft.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM

After reading through this thread from the first, I started to wonder about my batting choices and did a little research. I am pleasantly surprised, and I also learned something about basting spray.
Here is the conclusion of the study:
'Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.
All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix, were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.
Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums.'

Here is the link to the entire study for anyone wanting more information:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic...44-01-003.html
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
After reading through this thread from the first, I started to wonder about my batting choices and did a little research. I am pleasantly surprised, and I also learned something about basting spray.
Here is the conclusion of the study:
'Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.
All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix, were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.
Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums.'

Here is the link to the entire study for anyone wanting more information:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic...44-01-003.html
Nice article! Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 AM

I make BIG quilted stuffed hounds and the fusible batting is wonderful for this kind of project. I piece the fabric together then cut out the various pieces of the hound. I then drape muslin over the ironing board, lay out the batting then lay my pieced fabric pieces out and iron them on. I do throw a couple of pins in and then cut the batting and muslin to fit the top pieces. Then I press both sides of the pieces. This makes it really easy to quilt the pieces and assemble the hound. I think for projects like this the fusible batting is perfect. Anything else I use warm and natural but I intend to use the spray basting next time for a bigger item. I'll try to post a picture of a couple of my hounds.

Michigan Basset Rescue hound 9 patch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106641[/ATTACH]

This year's Woofle hound D9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106642[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106636.jpe   attachment-106637.jpe  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
"I like fusible batting for table runners and other small projects that won't be wrapped on/over me. It seems kind of stiff, and I don't want that in a quilt."

The first time I tried it, I bought a twin size pkg at Walmart. It felt stiff and weird and I wasn't too sure about using it again.........until I threw the quilt in the washing machine. I always wash the quilt when I'm finished, and it came out soft and drapey. Just what I wanted. Now I buy off the roll at my LQS. Just lucky maybe, but I've never had a problem.
Right - the fusible washes out during the first wash. It's fine for the right application. As a longarmer, I would have to load the quilt a little differently if it had fusible. I'd recommend asking the person you intend to take it to what their thoughts are. But, for a purse or wall-hanging, it works well.

oops...didn't see the article - off to read it :)
Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 AM

If you wish to keep the layers from slipping, why not use a spray and do it very lightly? I also find that the cotton battings seem to "hold" the other layers the best.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:14 AM

I use fusible batting when I am embroidering a quilt. It doesn't pucker around the design. Love it.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the info Candace! I want to try one of Anita Grossman Solomon's Rotary Cutting Revolution quilts, and they all involve starch.
What do you usually use? Do you know if the basting spray will work with starch? I really REALLY hate pinning! LOL[/quote]

I starch heavly, and have had no problem using basting spray. Works just fine.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 AM

I took Anita's class and she bastes her quilt sandwich with water soluble thread and washes the quilt when finished.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't care for the fusible batting. The basting spray works better for me.