Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible raw edge applique. What are your techniques? >

Fusible raw edge applique. What are your techniques?

Fusible raw edge applique. What are your techniques?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM

I do raw edge with wonder under (and try to cut out the middles to not be so stiff), but sew around the piece right inside the edge 3-4 times. Almost as if you were hand drawing around it with a pen. I usually use a darker cotton thread (sometimes even black). But most of the raw edge I do are on kids/baby quilts. It can fray a little outside the sewing, but it tends to look cute rather than worn.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the comments!

I had not thought of changing thread colors, Bree. I'm thinking I will use just one color for this first project, but I do have another project in mind that might warrant the extra work of changing thread colors. I love Aurifil thread too!

Yooper, thanks for the heads up on the Superior 100 wt poly thread. I will be interested to compare it to Invisafil, which is also 100 wt and poly. I have one spool of Invisafil here that I tried out for machine applique, but it showed up a little too much for me -- I think because it has a shine to it. I'd like to try Superior's version. It must be very popular, since many of the colors are sold out until late January! For others who may be interested, it is called the MicroQuilter. Here is a link to it:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...d=MicroQuilter

Willferg, I had forgotten about that Mod Podge for fabric. Think I'll look for it next time I am at Walmart and see if I can experiment with it a bit. I think it's more often used for wallhangings that won't be washed (and are not necessarily even stitched), but I am wondering if I could paint it on the edges of my applique pieces to deter fraying.

I ran my sample through the washer and dryer with towels to get max abrasion. In terms of fusible, I definitely do not recommend C&T for this. My best results were using 2 or 3 layers of Misty Fuse. I've got the stitch down pretty well, but a lot will depend on the thread too. I'm using the blind hem stitch on my machine with about 1.1 in width and a length midway between .5mm and satin stitch. I realized that, with raw edge, I need more width to make sure the applique will stay sewn even if the edges fray a bit, so I might even go up to 1.2. (For turned edge, I use a width of .6 but now I am wondering if I went too narrow. I think I need to make a sample of that and give it the abrasion test. If it fails, I will have to re-think my quilting pattern.) I am using a Microtex needle in the smallest size (size 60) with the 60wt Bottom Line thread.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-13-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:34 PM

I have several quilts my DM made with raw edge and they have been washed many times and are still beautiful. She did not fuse them on she just pinned them on and did all her work by hand. I fuse mine and have done hand work and machine blanket stitch.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
There is a version of Mod Podge for fabric that is supposed to help prevent fraying of fabric edges. There's a whole discussion on it in this thread on the Forum from June:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t279885-3.html
If interested, here is a little blog with info on the mod podge applique technique. http://quiltedfabricart.blogspot.com...-modpodge.html