Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread to use? >

What kind of thread to use?

What kind of thread to use?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
Default What kind of thread to use?

Lately I have been making quilts/blankets with cotton pieced top and minky on the back. My cotton fabric is pre-washed. Which thread should I use. Cotton or poly?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

i've always used cotton... but so many of the prominent quilters are not mentioning using poly... so, i'd say, personal choice. i think cotton was recommended so that the fabric was not damaged over time with a 'sharper-edged' thread.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ar-the-fabric/

The article explains why
The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-12-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:20 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Thanks this was very helpful, did not see this when I googled.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ar-the-fabric/

The article explains why
The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:01 AM

I would use poly.

Also, wanted to point out that there are other reasons to use cotton than what the guy from Superior mentions. For example, using 100% cotton fabric, thread & batting (no scrim) makes for a heavier quilt than quilting with poly thread -- especially as I now prefer to quilt at 3/4" spacing. Cotton also fades, whereas poly does not. I've seen older quilts that were quilted with both cotton & poly in the same quilt. The cotton thread fades to roughly the same color as the fabric. The poly thread remains the original color. For heirloom-quality quilts, I still believe cotton is the way to go. The final issue rests with the care of the quilt. If the recipient is likely to be good at following directions, and it isn't an heirloom quilt, cotton or poly both will work equally well. In fact, modern, high-quality poly threads probably would be an advantage. However, for those (like some college kids or even people from a certain generation that believe "it must be washed in hot water to get it really clean") who tend to abuse their quilts by washing in hot & drying on high, I would stick to cotton. The reason is that poly becomes damaged at lower temps than cotton. Short of leaving cotton in the dryer for 20-30 minutes or longer after it's completely dry, you're not likely to damage the cotton fibers. The fabric might crinkle, but that's the worst of it. The only time I've seen poly "cut" (and no, that is not the right word) cotton fabric has been after the owners have dried it on high for years. It may be a combination of the cotton becoming damaged from the heat of the dryer plus the way poly responds to heat by melting & then reorganizing back into a solid shape. Properly cared for quilts do just fine with either poly or cotton threads. Many quilt artists have been using poly threads in their wall quilts for decades without issue.

So, long story short. I'd go with poly thread. It is stronger & will marry together all those thick layers nicer than a cotton would. But really, you can't go wrong with either one for everyday quilts. Do keep in mind, though, that poly threads tend to be shinier than cotton. Depending on the look of your quilt, you may or may not want that effect.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 PM

minky is poly---so whatever kind of thread you prefer. If you want a poly that has the feel of a cotton, try Permacore by Superior (plus its cheaper than either King Tut or SoFine)