Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fussy cut chickens and comments >

Fussy cut chickens and comments

Fussy cut chickens and comments

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Default Fussy cut chickens and comments

Here is the result of the chickens which I recently asked advice about fussy cutting. I decided to put them in an attic window since I'd never done one and love the illusion.

I'm posting this photo mainly because, like all my quilts, it's been a learning experience, and I thought I'd mention my problems. Being a self-taught quiltmaker, I learn some...make that many... things the hard way. All but two of my chickens, for instance, appear to be floating in space! If I'd been paying more attention instead of being so caught up in how to sew that Y seam, I could have made sure I put all their feet on the ground. And I struggled with that narrow sashing (called "ledges"). Without the benefit of setting squares, it was difficult to line up the vertical and horizontal sashing ....until I thought to mark the sashing (and it's still not perfect). Also, I was following instructions for attic windows that I found online which said to join 4 little blocks to make a single block instead of sewing them singly in a long row. Without sashing between, that made sense, but next time, using sashing, I think I'd sew rows with sashing between each single chicken block instead of creating that blasted 4-part block with the intersecting sashing. But that's the fun--if you can call it that--of learning by doing!

Anyway, I'm pleased enough with this, my first attic window. I found some beautiful and amazing attic window quilts online and am eager to try another, maybe with a single large scene behind it.

Thanks for looking and commenting, if you care to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]354285[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photos-attic-window-quilt-et-al-016.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Cute! Like little chicken coops!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

They look adorable in their little windows! You could always appliqué some nests under your chickens if it bothers you.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM

This is just adorable!!! Those chickens are so darn cute May I ask where you found this pattern????

jody
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM

I think it's cute! Looks to me like they are just out in the field at differing distances...they don't have to sit on the ledge of the window...Sometimes just letting whimsy take it's course is also a delight to look at. You did great.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Those chickens are hopping and flying. They are adorable! SO much more interesting than if they were all anchored in the same place. Look again - see how happy they are???
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM

That's a cute quilt. I learn something with every quilt, too. Never stop learning.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Here is the result of the chickens which I recently asked advice about fussy cutting. I decided to put them in an attic window since I'd never done one and love the illusion.

I'm posting this photo mainly because, like all my quilts, it's been a learning experience, and I thought I'd mention my problems. Being a self-taught quiltmaker, I learn some...make that many... things the hard way. All but two of my chickens, for instance, appear to be floating in space! If I'd been paying more attention instead of being so caught up in how to sew that Y seam, I could have made sure I put all their feet on the ground. And I struggled with that narrow sashing (called "ledges"). Without the benefit of setting squares, it was difficult to line up the vertical and horizontal sashing ....until I thought to mark the sashing (and it's still not perfect). Also, I was following instructions for attic windows that I found online which said to join 4 little blocks to make a single block instead of sewing them singly in a long row. Without sashing between, that made sense, but next time, using sashing, I think I'd sew rows with sashing between each single chicken block instead of creating that blasted 4-part block with the intersecting sashing. But that's the fun--if you can call it that--of learning by doing!

Anyway, I'm pleased enough with this, my first attic window. I found some beautiful and amazing attic window quilts online and am eager to try another, maybe with a single large scene behind it.

Thanks for looking and commenting, if you care to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]354285[/ATTACH]
You could use some green thread and stitch some grass under the chickens if you don't like to see them "floating". Just do a very narrow satin stitch and make "sprigs" of grass along the edges of their feet. Just a suggestion! It is beautiful the way you have made it, regardless.

Last edited by maryb44662; 08-07-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Jim

I think it's a great quilt and looked to see the floating chickens....LOL. But, they didn't appear to me as floating..we are always the most critical of our own work.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Tie some raffia under them and then they are sitting on nests in their Chicken Coop. Whatever you do or don't do, they are very cute. I really like all the dots.