Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Garden gloves for free motion quilting >

Garden gloves for free motion quilting

Garden gloves for free motion quilting

Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 AM

Just started quilting around Oct 09....since I garden a lot I had a pair of brand new gloves w/nubbies in the garage. Never thought I would be using them for quilting. Bought them from Dollar General. They work like a charm, while practicing my free motion quilting. Now if I can just get the hang of FMQ.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
Ok you geniuses -- what you use under the hoop when you FMQ or FME (Embroider) - I heard you need some kind of teflon sheet to make it slippery so it moves easily. What non quilting item can you use that wont cost me a fortune?
I purchased a teflon sheet at JoAnns for ironing on applique and I think it was $6. Did you get the new 40% off coupon in the mail? Also, you could probably check out the household dept. like at wally world to see what they have? Otherwise, I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

The only problem I see are they are hot. I wonder if we could just cut the fingers off and use them or even cut the cuffs and the finger tips off. It might be kind of warm to use them in the summer.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I started out using garden gloves for FMQ. They were ok, but didn't grip as much as I hoped they would. Plus they were hot. I came across some quilting gloves called Machingers for under $10. I love them! They grip much better, are better fitting, cooler and I can even thread the needle without removing them! They are the best $10 quilting item I've bought. :)
I used garden gloves at first, but I have small hands and all that I could find were too big. I invested $10 in quilters' gloves and LOVE them. For me the size is more appropriate and I can grip the fabric better.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
When I saw the price of quilting gloves with the little rubber jobbies on the fingers and palms I decided I didn't need them that bad. I happened to be in our local dollar store and they had cotton gloves with little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers so I bought a pair to try. They work just as good and when go to town again I am going to buy several more pairs.
thanks, what a great idea. I'll be looking for some, next time I'm in town.