Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems! >

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Gee, I have a expensive hobby it seems!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I use the cheaper Blankets and they work just fine for me.
I did too until after sewing top ALL by hand gave it away she washed it and it shriveled up I was so embaresed NEVER again to muchand all that work for a cheap blanket!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Nobody ever said hobbies were cheap.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Yup. That's why I concentrate on doing one or two really nice ones with lots of detail and thought rather than 25 throw it together and quick quilt it types. But for me the pleasure is really in designing a new top. If I've spent a hundred hours on a top I like to have the back and thread match the quality. I also buy enough yardage for at least a twin back if I see something versatile and on deep sale and use coupons to stock up on better thread so for my smaller scrap/leftover quilts I can usually find something that will do in stash.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM

My Mom used sheets for the back of quilts. Heard you shouldn't do that now. Well I have and love the result. I love the 300 plus count sheet. Any feed back on sheets?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM

I feel the same way fabric is getting real expensive. I was at Joann's last week and I checked Warm and Natural
batting $ 14.99 a yard.(ouch) Even the spools of thread are getting smaller and of course the price isn't. I too have
a lot of stasch etc and I am going to do scrappy quilts but I still need backing and batting. Oh Well it is like another lady said if we smoked it would probably cost a lot moe.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM

I feel like my quilting hobby is secondary to my fabric collecting hobby. My husband is so thrilled that I have found something that I am this happy with where I can express myself in a form of art he has not complained so far. (He and our grown daughter are both very artistic where I could not draw a stick figure without messing it up) He did find my stash about a month ago and told me not to buy any more until I have used up a lot of what I have as I could start my own fabric store. Really, letting go of fabric unless it is in a quilt! Not going to happen unless it is in a swap with one of your lovely people.
Of course I am putting some kits together for this summer so that will move some out of the stash. We go "camping" (in a trailer with a generator in case there is no electricity at the camp site) and I sew while he goes off fishing. For us it is the perfect summer weekend. He even bought me a screened dome so I can be outside while I sew.
Yes the fabric is very expensive but I watch sales in town and online and there is always ebay.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I know how you feel. I realized today that I need some more fabric to finish my quilt and I haven't even thought about what I'm going to put on the back, but I'm not ready to give up this hobby. I figure if I smoked, I would spend that much on cigarettes. Quilting keeps me sane, but I do wish sanity was a little less expensive.
That is what I said when I stopped smoking 10 years ago, paid for my hobby and more to, I was up to 3 packs a day. Lord was with me on cold trukey stopping, haven't had one since. I do love my quilting but decided to use up my scraps before making more purchases of fabric, it's sure hard when the sales fliers come around,but have to stick with the scraps.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Quilting isn't an inexpensive hobby. With the price of fabric going higher and higher, I use plain muslin for my backings, taking advantage of the width and Joann's 40% off coupons. Have never run into any problems and have been doing this for years. I wait for sales on battings too. Makes me thankful for my stash, however, never is there a time I don't need to purchase just a little fabric to finish a project. Is it psychological or just Murphy's Law?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM

I keep telling my husband it is still way cheaper than medicating myself with illicit drugs! and the quilts serve a valuable purpose too--besides keeping me sane, which as mastercard says, is priceless!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM

I am a slow quilter....I usually design my own and work very slowly due to old age, so the price for me is probably less than most, but so is the quantity, which is fine.....always shop "on sale", that helps a lot!!