Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm seems to have a "bad spot" >

Longarm seems to have a "bad spot"

Longarm seems to have a "bad spot"

Old 07-31-2017, 02:33 AM

Default Longarm seems to have a "bad spot"

Let me try to describe this and see if any of you can relate.

I panto. My machine feels like it is hitting something in the exact same location all the way across the panto. What's weirder is it does it on several pantos, all that have the same particular swoop. It's like a smile. But it doesn't make me smile at all.
It isn't something on the tracks. I've tried cleaning and wiping to no avail.
It'll do it the whole length of the quilt. But behaves normally everywhere else.
So imagine when you get to that spot the quilter feels like it tugs off the line. I have figured out how to accomodate this action. I redraw the line in the offending location to avoid this area. But I'd like to know why it does it and if something can be done. For the cost of a LA I shouldn't have to be doing this.
It makes a not very smooth line there and looks bad. I'm sure anyone with a computerized machine wouldn't being having this issue. And perhaps even FMQ ing from the front of the machine because you wouldn't be following a line and wouldn't be doing a repeat motion across the quilt.

I've tried describing this to the service guy. He has no idea what I"m talking about. Or perhaps I"m not speaking his language. You know how that is? Sometimes you're doing your best and the other person still has a glazed look on their face.

Are all LAs quirky with some personality of their own?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-31-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: language
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 AM

I'm sorry I don't long arm but I hope you find a solution from someone else here. And...I hope you weren't up super early because you were worrying about it.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I'm sorry I don't long arm but I hope you find a solution from someone else here. And...I hope you weren't up super early because you were worrying about it.
630 isn't super early for me. I'm always awake at least by 6. I start my day rather early and if I don't do it by noon it doesn't get done.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

its sounds clear to me, what's with the service guy? is it possible to use a different service guy?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:42 AM

Is the take up bar raised just high enough that you can get your finger between it and the base of your machine? On my Gammill, if the bar is lowered so it is barely touching the machine I will have this happen. I make sure the take up bar is in a position that allows the quilt sandwich to lay level with the machine without the sandwich touching the machine head.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

The service guy is either trained to replace parts or doesn't want to be bothered. A good one would have a general idea of what the problem could be. Look for a Facebook group of your LA brand if it has happened before someone will know what the problem is.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 AM

I don't have a LA on a frame so this is just a complete stab in the dark - I assume your machine moves on wheels that run on rails? Could you have a wheel with a flat spot, maybe?

Can the service guy come out and actually try the machine and experience the issue for himself?

I'm sorry you're having this problem! I hope you can get a good fix for it soon.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

When my machine doesn't move smoothly I first check to see if a cord has caught on something, but you've probably already checked that out.

I had a similar problem once, probably not what you're experiencing but I'll describe it anyway "just in case". My frame had "settled" over time, and the front and back rails were not equidistant across the full 12 feet. When the carriage approached the area where the rails were furthest apart, the machine kind of stuttered on the track. Then when it moved over that spot to where the rails were closer together everything was fine. I learned that Innova had slightly changed the frame design over time to put in more of the slats that keep the frame from spreading. I bought two more of these slats, installed them on my frame, and the problem was solved. I also found out recently that the dealer who set up my machine set up my carriage for a 22" rather than a 26". I don't know if that also contributed to the problem.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Dunster. It sounds like your rails are not equal distance apart the entire span of your rack or that the rack is not 100% perfectly level and square the entire distance. You can try measuring the distance between the front and rear tracks. You have to measure everywhere. One way is to cut something rigid, like a dowel or piece of pvc pipe the proper distance then slide it all the way along your rack between the rails that the carriage rolls on to see if there is a place where it is too far apart or too close together. Or tell your service guy you think the frame is out of square or out of level or one of the rails is somehow not right and you want them to come check it and fix it.

I chatted with one longarmer the problem was in her subfloor. It flexed and caused the rack to be out of skew. Usually when it feels like the machine head is fighting you and it happens in the same place it is an indication the frame is the issue not the longarm machine head. And yes a computerized machine would also have problems with an out of square or out of level frame.

My longarm I have to relevel it and check it annually. Houses settle and some move more than others with the change of seasons.

I seem to recall you had a similar issue with your used HQ and I offered you the same advice then. (that your rack or setup was not perfectly level and square the entire distance of the rack)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I bought one of these to check my frame. It works great. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-48...9-48/100653520