Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General Pastel Chalk Pencils - the white ones >

General Pastel Chalk Pencils - the white ones

General Pastel Chalk Pencils - the white ones

Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Default General Pastel Chalk Pencils - the white ones

These pencils are probably my favorite for marking anything that the white will show on.

The marks usually rub away.

The down side of them:

1) they do get dull quickly - I've found that an eyebrow pencil sharpener works as well as anything to sharpen them.

2) Occasionally the chalk in the inside of the pencil breaks and then it is impossible to sharpen it. May as well throw the pencil away.

I do occasionally use a yellow or gray one - the gray is generally hard to see., but I am more comfortable using the gray on a white fabric than the yellow one.

I do have a couple of yellow ones, but do not use them very often. Yellow marks can be very difficult to remove.

General does make these pencils in assorted colors - but I do not have them, so have not used them.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 AM

The only one I've used was yellow and it was hard to remove. That was the quilt that I found out perfect circles are hard to FMQ, so it wasn't my best experience. I will need a marker on my next quilt, so I'm looking for something that brushes off easily. Too many light areas to use soap.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

For marking on light fabrics, the General's Sketch and Wash is good. Always seems to wash out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2MD16/
(They are also sold individually or in two's on Amazon. Probably also available at art supply stores.)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
For marking on light fabrics, the General's Sketch and Wash is good. Always seems to wash out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2MD16/
(They are also sold individually or in two's on Amazon. Probably also available at art supply stores.)
I really like these, too!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 AM

If you don’t use your marker regular they say to put it in the freezer. The chalk need moisture and won’t break so easily upon sharpening. I love generals markers but prefer mechanical ones but sometimes hard to find lead replacement
Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 AM

I use the teacher 'chalk' white or colored to mark templates onto the fabric, especially denim. Edge marking in a thin chalk line works fine. Others I use a plain black pen, 'cause it does not matter if it is in the seam that I sew. Tried other things and they did not work for me.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 AM

I used yellow on a green Christmas quilt and it was impossible to remove.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 AM

I haven't used these. I did a demo a few years ago for my guild of marking methods. I used all kinds of different things recommended online. I used a few different fabrics. I did one set where I ironed over the marks before attempting to remove them. Then I threw them in the washing machine. I don't know what I did with the document I made. I do remember that in general, blue and yellow seemed the most difficult to remove.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:43 PM

Will have to try the Sketch and Wash! I really like the "Generals White Charcoal." It sharpens better than the chalk, and comes out better.