Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Generations of quilting?? >

Generations of quilting??

Generations of quilting??

Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quilters in my family go back a long way, and I am always astounded by the quality of these quilts without the tools we have today. I am sure that these women would outshine all of us with the use of these tools and the skills they had to use yesterday
Old 03-31-2015, 02:29 PM

What a fun thing to share! I am the first quilter in my family that I know of... as well as the youngest quilter i know (I turn 24 tomorrow)! My mom doesn't quilt but is an accomplished sewer, my grandmother also sewed but did not quilt (as far as I know). I had a great-great uncle who was very skilled at crochet. We say that his blankets have sleeping powder because they are so cozy and beg you to take a nap!

I've always been interested in arts and crafts and I am a graphic designer by trade so I see quilting as another way to express myself artistically.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM

I am definately the first.. I hope of many!

hugs

Caroline
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM

The only one in my family who quilted was a maternal aunt. She didn't do it very long, but I believe she made one or two quilts. I don't remember of any others who quilted. Lots of crafters in the family, but quilting wasn't one of them.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

my grandma made a yo yo quilt in the late 50's early 60's. she's the only person I know of who made a quilt b4 me.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM

My maternal grandmother passed when my mom was 2 and my mom and aunt grew up really very dirt poor with no cousins or anything. No quilting and hardly any sewing. No indoor plumbing either! My paternal grandmother had 8 kids, 5 of them girls. They lived in a small 4 room house and in the living room there was a huge quilting frame that hung from the ceiling on pulleys. At night the girls would lower it and work on a quilt and when done, they hoisted it up to get it out of the way for the next morning. It's really very sad but only me and one of my 42 cousins actually quilt. My dad taught me to crochet which he learned from his sisters. I much prefer quilting but have crocheted several afghans and baby blankets over the years. I have one sibling, a sister, who has never picked up a needle and thread in her life. I was hoping to be able to pass on my love of cooking, fabric, and gardening but we haven't been blessed with children (yet?). I have hope for my youngest niece who's 13 as she has the most common sense and lack of obsession with electronic gadgets. She hasn't shown an interest in sewing or quilting yet but she's becoming a good little baker and helps in the garden some.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 PM

My grandmother(fathers mother) quilted for a living for others. Quilt frame hung from the ceiling by ropes and she would roll quilting up so we could not touch it and get it dirty when I was little. Mother did some quilting did a king size postage stamp, hand pieced for step sister. Who cut it up for a baby quilt, still wish I had a picture of my mothers face when she asked her where she got the baby quilt. "I cut that quilt you gave for it." OMG!!!!! I've been quilting since 2010. Do a lot of panel, tee shirts, memorial quilts. I have been hand quilting but just got an old Design a Quilt Machine w/frame and learning to run it on a old scrape top. Have several tops waiting to get done.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM

What a great question!! I haven't read the responses yet...couldn't wait to answer!! My mother was beginning to quilt when her heart began to fail... but her mother and her grandmother quilted... and, more than likely, many previous generations since the quilts were mostly utilitarian. They were beautiful, too, of course... My (already grown) daughter will not likely pick up my love of quilting... but I'll do my best to lure my (due any day now) grand daughter!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 PM

I come from a long line of quilters, both male and female, on my mother's side. My mother was a quilter as was her mother and both sets of grandparents, a great uncle and both great aunts. Both of my great, great grandmothers and one great great grandfather were quilters as well. In my generation, only my sister and I quilt out of 51 cousins.