Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting back into quilting >

Getting back into quilting

Getting back into quilting

Old 07-18-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for all of the inspiration and ideas!

I think I just needed a kick in the pants, and all of you had great ideas that kickstarted me! My stash is displayed in a large bookcase in the loft area of our house, (in a dark corner to keep everything from fading). I decided to turn on the light in that area and start pulling stuff out. It didn't take long for fabric love to penetrate my heart...

Anyway, I decided to get a few new fabrics for a simple square base and then do a little applique. I don't use patterns because I never follow them anyway, (kinda stubborn that way...always have been!). I'm going fabric shopping right now. It's been a while since I've bought anything so I need to freshen up the stash a little bit. I'm getting excited again.

Thanks again for all of your help! I'll post a photo when I have one...
Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM

There are several block of the month blogs/or quilting companies that may be of interest such as 'Women of the Bible.' There might be a "crafty" online class that would be a review, new technique, or even a way to "use your talents' such as teaching for crafty. Passing your quilting skills to the next children might be interesting.

Then there are so many children, people, etc., that could use your talents. Quilts of Valor come to mind. Flood hurricane, tornado victims, cancer, even your father's illness all need quilts.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 PM

Go to a quilt festival, or take a class. I think seeing others enthused and enjoying quilting can rub off.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:19 AM

Welcome from Scotland. I agree with quiltsRFun- quilting is for your pleasure.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:47 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I am fortunate that I still have my mother (will be 95 in November) and she is living in a retirement community near me. I do know what it's like not to be able to get to your quilting and feeling at a loss for the activity it requires. I started out with my bee and have gone on to taking some classes along the way and my best friend and I go on quite a few retreats. Those are the best to be surrounded by quilting in all stages. It sort of saturates you with quilting and it really inspires me to do my own quilting. Hang in there and come here often for inspiration.

Susan in Texas
Old 07-19-2015, 05:24 AM

I found my mojo, after a more than six month hiatus, when I decided to make a tote for "Sadie's Dream for a Cure". I just need a few finishing touches and it's on it's way.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Maybe just starting with small things that complete fairly quickly. I find a lot of times when doing a big project, I have to take a break from it, and just sew some simple things like pillowcases, self-binding baby blankets, burp cloths, bibs, taggie toys, or a quick and easy tote bag, table topper. Or if you like hand sewing, do some hexies and they may inspire you to make them into a wallhanging or a quilt.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Ty

Hi Susan,
Like you I was a caregiver for quite a few years for my husband. He passed away 15 months ago, and again, like you I haven't found my mojo for quilting since. I recently volunteered at a local church to help make pillowcases for homeless children, and just being around fabric and sewing machines and ladies that had that same interest prompted me to come home and start a new project. I have several WIPS that I could work on, but starting something new and easy is helping me to return to my love of quilting. Maybe finding a need for your craft will open the doors for you too. Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I found my mojo, after a more than six month hiatus, when I decided to make a tote for "Sadie's Dream for a Cure". I just need a few finishing touches and it's on it's way.
The same exact thing happened to me....just completed my first "busy bag" for "Sadie's Dream for a Cure", have two more cut and ready to sew....and pulled fabric from my stash for several more. I think they are so fun and easy and while making them, I am imagining the child with cancer who will receive it and I pray for them. Mojo's back!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm in very much the same position. Before I retired I bought a new sewing machine and a great cabinet (get it while you got it ($)). Then I had surgery, my mother-in-law got ill, we moved 90 miles and are just now completing the move. My husband became ill etc. I just haven't got the desire to get that much back into it. Since I'm not doing to well getting back to it either I have only one piece of advice --- get the accumulated mending (done or not) out of sight. There is nothing like mending to make me (and you?) not want to sew at all.

PS I like the PIQF a lot (especially the vendors) I think that are two ways to see the show. For me I admire the work rather like going to a museum - I stand in awe of what other quilt artists can do even though there is no way I could even come close to their expertise. I have a friend who won't go anymore because she sees all of the work that she will never be able to do as well and it just frustrates her.