Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Corners to Match Up >

Getting Corners to Match Up

Getting Corners to Match Up

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM

I have tried every trick I have ever found and still can't get them to line up. I have learned to just go with it and stay away from harder patterns and expensive fabrics that I would be afraid to use as an everyday quilt. That is what makes this board so fantastic, I get to admire all of the experts quilts!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM

I'm doing a quilt with lots of matching and the glue is working great for me so far.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:17 AM
cjk

I press one seam one way and the seam it's going to butt up to the other that way when you when you sew it will help to lock the seams together. And sometimes I use glue.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:00 AM

I use a small amount of elmers stick glue when I want it to be perfect, It works and washes out....when you put in the washing machine,
Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 AM

I press my seams open, then pin both sides of the seam, very very close to the seam and right at the edge of the fabric, making sure the corner matches and the pin catches the seam allowances from both pieces. When I'm sewing, I slow right down, one stitch at a time when I get up to the seam. I make sure my needle has caught and is well into the pinned seam allowance, sometimes I will manually sew with the knob thing, to go over a pin. I don't pull my pins out until half of the seam is sewn. My corners are usually pretty good. Not always spot on, but very often!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 AM

Thanks for sharing that video site with everyone. I just watched it and am very glad as that is what i do already. :lol:
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Okiegal29
I have been trying to get my corner to match up..I try for awhile and then give up. I try again 2 or 3 mos later. I have been doing this for a year and a half. Is there something I can buy that would help me match the corners. I have ripped out so many times I had to throw the material away. If you have an idea please let me know. My husband says, I should just give up! I have a Pfaff machine and went out and bought a Singer thinking it would help. Was I wrong!

Thank you
Okiegal29
It sounds like your squares aren't the same size. Try stacking one on top of the other, carefully matching the corners and sides. Is one not the same as the rest? Are they all different sizes? Then find the smallest of all the squares and square it up. Next square 3 more pieces to the exact same size as that one. Try sewing 2 together and pressing the seam to the left. Sew 2 more and press as before. Now line them up with those seams going in opposite directions. PIN AT THE SEAM INTERSECTION AND AT THE END, matching the corners. I also pin at the beginning, again, matching the corners, and sew.

If they are all perfectly the same size, then the problem may be the pressure on your presser foot. If your pressure is too heavy, it may be causing the bottom fabric to be pulled in at a greater amount than the top fabric.

At this stage, your 1/4" seam allowance shouldn't have anything to do with your blocks not meeting correctly.

Accuracy in cutting and piecing is the backbone of good workmanship. If it isn't cut accurately, it won't fit together. If your seam is not consistently 1/4", your finished piece won't be the size you desire.

Let us know how things are coming along. We care and don't want you to become discouraged. Be patient and your problems will work their way out.

Here is a trick that uses the fact that our machines eat fabric at different rates can be a good thing. Even the best of us will have problems, at times, with pieces not matching up perfectly. Pin these pieces together so that the larger of the 2 pieces is on the BOTTOM. Sew with the bubble on the bottom (or the baggy bottom.) This will allow the feed dogs to ease the excess in for you. I have eased in nearly 1/4" over a 12" block when one of the group decided to be difficult.

Always match up the obvious matching points. I pin, pin, pin each point that should be matched.

Good luck and please don't give up.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 AM

Where are you in Oklahoma? I'm in Edmond and maybe I can help you.

Joy
Old 10-31-2010, 04:47 AM

I was born in Tulsa, but lived first 8 years in OKC with most of my family in Edmond!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Okiegal29
I have been trying to get my corner to match up..I try for awhile and then give up. I try again 2 or 3 mos later. I have been doing this for a year and a half. Is there something I can buy that would help me match the corners. I have ripped out so many times I had to throw the material away. If you have an idea please let me know. My husband says, I should just give up! I have a Pfaff machine and went out and bought a Singer thinking it would help. Was I wrong!

Thank you
Okiegal29
I think you are being too hard on yourself. If it isn't a perfect match, what is it going to hurt. Just do the best you can and the more you quilt, the better you will get. This is what I call *good enough for government work!* When things like this stress you too much, it takes the fun out of quilting.