Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Getting Corners to Match Up

I have been trying to get my corner to match up..I try for awhile and then give up. I try again 2 or 3 mos later. I have been doing this for a year and a half. Is there something I can buy that would help me match the corners. I have ripped out so many times I had to throw the material away. If you have an idea please let me know. My husband says, I should just give up! I have a Pfaff machine and went out and bought a Singer thinking it would help. Was I wrong!

Thank you
    Okiegal29

Blog Entries
    What do you mean when you say corners. Can you post a pic? Don't give up. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I have not tried it but some use a dot of school glue and then line up the blocks. You might go to YouTube and find a Tutorial for beginners that show how to line up your blocks. Hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Cutting precisely and accurate piercing. Maybe do a search here for 1/4" seams, lots of good advice on maintaning an accurate seam :D:D:D

I always pin my blocks, making sure the 1/4" seams butt up against each other. Please post a pic so that we can really help you! Do you have a local quilt shop you can go to for help?

I pin my blocks too. That is the only way I can match the seams up. Even then mine don't always match perfectly, but from a distance it is close enough. :)

When I make four squares and sew them together then make four more and sew the roll together the corners don't match up

One of our guest speakers at a guild meeting said she presses her seams open instead of to one side and she lines up the seams and pins just a couple threads past the seam. She goes real slow as she approaches the seam and once she sews across it, she pulls out the pin. At that point the seam is locked in place.

She passed around some of her quilts and her corners were perfect. Not even a thread off. So I tried her technique and I am getting closer. Some of my seams are spot on and some are pretty close. That's good enough for me!

Don't give up, google 'matching seams' and you will get plenty of examples on how to do it. Here one http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Mat...tches-64331734

Is this the type of thing your after?

I pin my seams to keep them in place so they will match up at the end. I sometimes have a piece that is a little larger than the other. In that case I "big bottom" it. That means the larger piece goes on the bottom and as it feeds into the machine it will smooth it out and they will end together.

I have tried every trick I have ever found and still can't get them to line up. I have learned to just go with it and stay away from harder patterns and expensive fabrics that I would be afraid to use as an everyday quilt. That is what makes this board so fantastic, I get to admire all of the experts quilts!

Blog Entries
    I'm doing a quilt with lots of matching and the glue is working great for me so far.

cjk
    I press one seam one way and the seam it's going to butt up to the other that way when you when you sew it will help to lock the seams together. And sometimes I use glue.

Blog Entries
    I use a small amount of elmers stick glue when I want it to be perfect, It works and washes out....when you put in the washing machine,

I press my seams open, then pin both sides of the seam, very very close to the seam and right at the edge of the fabric, making sure the corner matches and the pin catches the seam allowances from both pieces. When I'm sewing, I slow right down, one stitch at a time when I get up to the seam. I make sure my needle has caught and is well into the pinned seam allowance, sometimes I will manually sew with the knob thing, to go over a pin. I don't pull my pins out until half of the seam is sewn. My corners are usually pretty good. Not always spot on, but very often!

Thanks for sharing that video site with everyone. I just watched it and am very glad as that is what i do already. :lol:

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Okiegal29
    I have been trying to get my corner to match up..I try for awhile and then give up. I try again 2 or 3 mos later. I have been doing this for a year and a half. Is there something I can buy that would help me match the corners. I have ripped out so many times I had to throw the material away. If you have an idea please let me know. My husband says, I should just give up! I have a Pfaff machine and went out and bought a Singer thinking it would help. Was I wrong!

Thank you
    Okiegal29
    It sounds like your squares aren't the same size. Try stacking one on top of the other, carefully matching the corners and sides. Is one not the same as the rest? Are they all different sizes? Then find the smallest of all the squares and square it up. Next square 3 more pieces to the exact same size as that one. Try sewing 2 together and pressing the seam to the left. Sew 2 more and press as before. Now line them up with those seams going in opposite directions. PIN AT THE SEAM INTERSECTION AND AT THE END, matching the corners. I also pin at the beginning, again, matching the corners, and sew.

If they are all perfectly the same size, then the problem may be the pressure on your presser foot. If your pressure is too heavy, it may be causing the bottom fabric to be pulled in at a greater amount than the top fabric.

At this stage, your 1/4" seam allowance shouldn't have anything to do with your blocks not meeting correctly.

Accuracy in cutting and piecing is the backbone of good workmanship. If it isn't cut accurately, it won't fit together. If your seam is not consistently 1/4", your finished piece won't be the size you desire.

Let us know how things are coming along. We care and don't want you to become discouraged. Be patient and your problems will work their way out.

Here is a trick that uses the fact that our machines eat fabric at different rates can be a good thing. Even the best of us will have problems, at times, with pieces not matching up perfectly. Pin these pieces together so that the larger of the 2 pieces is on the BOTTOM. Sew with the bubble on the bottom (or the baggy bottom.) This will allow the feed dogs to ease the excess in for you. I have eased in nearly 1/4" over a 12" block when one of the group decided to be difficult.

Always match up the obvious matching points. I pin, pin, pin each point that should be matched.

Good luck and please don't give up.

Where are you in Oklahoma? I'm in Edmond and maybe I can help you.

Joy

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was born in Tulsa, but lived first 8 years in OKC with most of my family in Edmond!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Okiegal29

Thank you
    Okiegal29
    I think you are being too hard on yourself. If it isn't a perfect match, what is it going to hurt. Just do the best you can and the more you quilt, the better you will get. This is what I call *good enough for government work!* When things like this stress you too much, it takes the fun out of quilting.