Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting an Image Complex

I have my grandmothers black singer sewing machine with all the pretty painted flowers on it. It is over 100 yrs old. It sews beautifully I made all my childrens clothes on it before I bought my bernina. I wouldn't trade the singer for anything, sews even better than the bernina.

As long as it still works good don't worry about how it looks. I find that some of the newer sewing machines cannot compare to the old ones. The older ones were made to last. Enjoy it!

Blog Entries
    Do not worry about what others have but be thankful for what the Lord has blessed you with. I have only one machine and wish I had a long arm like some others but I just go with what I have and am thankful for being able to do as much as I do.

THE WAY IT SEWS IS THE IMPORTANT PART...NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. I HAVE A MACHINE THAT COST $5000.00 DOLLARS AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A NICE STRAIGHT STITCH. MY $25.00 DOLLAR ONE WAS BETTER. WHO CARES HOW OLD OR WHAT IT COST... HOW NICE IT SEWS IS ALL YOU CARE ABOUT.

Don't you wish you knew about the first lady who got htis machine and imagine how excited she must have been to start sewing, planning her first project. I can just almost see the huge smile on her face. Oh the stories this sweet machine holds. Lucky you. Ya, car polish will be good for her and some oiling and she is ready to stitch, and make you happy. :lol: :thumbup: Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mshawii
    Don't you wish you knew about the first lady who got htis machine and imagine how excited she must have been to start sewing, planning her first project. I can just almost see the huge smile on her face. Oh the stories this sweet machine holds. Lucky you. :thumbup: Jan
    The wonderful lady that gave this to me was going to write up who this amazing woman was... her great-grandmother. She is in my prayers a lot. I've only heard from her once. And yes, I do imagine those things... These sewing machines changed the lives of women forever!

I have an old Morse she's not pretty,she's a funky green,and has no decals,but I love her better than any machine I have.She sews beautifully,and that's all that matters.

Blog Entries
    My girlfriend has a feather weight, and I would love to have. It is so nice sewing with hers. I have a Juki 98 and hers sews better than mine....... :(

How a machine SEWS is what counts

Blog Entries
    Can't beat the old ones!! Even if they aren't quite as shiney and some of the paint is worn off. Remember that your machine is made from metal and not plastic. It's gotta last a lot longer. If you don't believe me, take a sledge hammer to the old one and to the new one. See which one comes out still ticking.

Blog Entries
    You folks make me laugh!!! It's true. While my Alvah may be old and rather beat up, it sews like a dream. If only it were as good as the Featherweight I learned to sew on decades ago! She was beautiful, dependable, and under-appreciated. I hope to high heavens my sister still has her!!

My 30 year old kenmore suits me just fine.....

I love how we see the beauty in simple things and uplift each other.

Oh, But your machine is beautiful! And such a loyal friend.

My best sewing Featherweight had no decals and almost no clear coat left, but she sewed wonderfully! I named her "The Phoenix" as she was resurrected, didn't sew when I bought her. I cleaned and oiled her and was amazed at how well she sewed and was so quiet.

Your 100 yr old machine will out last all of these new fancy things :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    Your Alva is a beauty! I'd love to have one like her! If she could only talk-what a history she could share! :)
    I'm thinking she earned every scratch, ding, and dull spot, making someone happy. Would that we could all say that! Enjoy your Grande Dame, she has worked hard all her life, just like you. We love you too!

my shellac is mostly gone too---decals fading and I am looking alittle dingy-----I know I will never be a model----but I still can sew up a storm and am loved------why should it be any different for Alvah?

guess what my machine is 37 years old AND only been to the shop once (Viking) takes no oil and there are no computer chips to go out. enjoy your 100 year old baby, (((Hugs)))

Be proud of your dear oldie. I wonder if you are aware of how many of us quilters would buy her from you in a heartbeat.
    I was very fortunate (after a long search) to find a beautiful Singer treadle machine at a garage sale about 6 months ago. It is a 1952 model in excelant condition.
    I gave her a good clean and oil and hubby revarnished the wood for me. She sews like a dream with a much better stitch than any of my other 5 machines. I get so much joy from using her. I was very surprised when my daughter asked if it could be hers when I fall off the perch.

I really wouldn't let the image complex hang around too much. I am of the opinion that if your machine is still running in good order and does everything you ask of it so what. It is nice to have all the bells and whistles of the newer machines, but that just means that much more can go wrong with the machine. Besides being old is not so bad. I am 57 and still going strong. Jeanniebelle

Quote Originally Posted by mshawii
    Don't you wish you knew about the first lady who got htis machine and imagine how excited she must have been to start sewing, planning her first project. I can just almost see the huge smile on her face. Oh the stories this sweet machine holds. Lucky you. Ya, car polish will be good for her and some oiling and she is ready to stitch, and make you happy. :lol: :thumbup: Jan
    Yes I do know about the first lady that bought the first singer, it was my grandmother. Everytime I sew on it I picture her sewing most of my clothes and she did it with love.

Blog Entries
    I'd bet any number of folks here would give their eye teeth for the machine you're describing - me included! Enjoy that wonderful machine with a rich history!

Blog Entries
    Funny thing, wishing... Last night I was told to come and pick up my sister's old treadle White. Looking at my Alvah my niece responded, "And it's a WAY better machine than this one!" Inside I laughed and thought, "Yeah, well... we will see how it stitches!!"

Then I went to work. This summer, I'm adopting a friend's grandmother's old Singer. I've been told it's a mess from sitting in a shed. From zero to three in less than 2 months.

A thing of beauty is never perfect!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2