Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting less than you paid for... >

Getting less than you paid for...

Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Oh I forgot has anyone heard of a "bakers dozen". That is where you get 13 instead of 12 because back in the dark ages someone would cut your arm off if you did not get a dozen of whatever you paid for. That is extreme I know but it is the truth...
Oh, GEE! I will never think of doughnuts in the same way again!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I have terrible luck at Jo'Anns with cuts so.. off grain that when its straigtened I end up with 32 inches and less on some. I do not mean to ... complain but ... its so frustrating. I have said something to the manager once and the response was ... "Well we cut it the way it comes of the bolt". I understand that bolts get wound sometimes really off grain , but they push the badly wound onto the consumer to pay the final price with less useable fabric than was paid for.
I agree the wide cuts really can be problematic.
At the LQS - I think the attempt to not give away , has had a backlash in that sometimes, the fabric comes up short. All of the LQS in my area , do not ever give an extra inch. Have they all forgotten that "good will " toward the customer , is its best investment?
I recently came up a bit short on a piece of fabric from JoAnns so had to go back for more. I just solved the problem and bought what was left on the bolt. 6 yds. It is something I will use a lot so no problem. (one way to justify it huh!) :lol:
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM

I don't like short cuts, or crooked cuts; but stop to think
if fabric is $3.60 a yard (which it's not) and they give you
an inch, that's ten cents. So they could easily be giving
away a quarter on each yard if they measure long. Most of
the quilt shops where I frequent do cut a bit to my advantage but I always try to buy a littler more than I need
anyway. Costs to run short and have to make another trip,
both in gas and money. I don't buy much yardage on line.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by so-sew
Oh, yes....had that exact problem from a very popular chain fabric store and I was so irritated that I wrote to the company! Of course I heard nothing back from them. It's funny how those two inches off a three yard cut made me irritated enough to question whether to go there in the future. I'm sure the two inches would have cost them less than loosing my business will cost them. I told them I only ask for and expect what I've paid for. Sorry for my rant!
I had a problem with a clerk at JoAnns (so did a few others.same clerk) and wrote to corporate. had an answer and this week I was getting more fabric and she was my cutter...Must have had some PR training because she was very very nice. Asking what I was making and being friendly. Previous one man behind me in the line called her the gestapo clerk. :-D
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM

i ordered by phone from joanns in dallas becouse they do not carry the boat fabric where i live. it was a large project, so i measured and marked each yard with chalk as i cut it out to keep track of what was left on the roll so i was to be sure i would not run short. it was 5 yards short @$23 a yard on sale! if i had bought it in store to be shipped to them first i would have them measure before i took it out of the store. next time i will have it shipped to my store! i had ordered extra so i made it work. beware.
phyllis nm
Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Has anyone else had the problem of a yard really isnt a yard anymore? It seems the employees have been taught to be very specific when cutting fabric and not "over"cut a yard of fabric!! Alot of time I will buy what I think is three yards and it ends up being 2 yards 34-35 inches!! I guess its not a really big deal but over time this adds up!! Also if I try using it for backing I come up short just that little bit!!! Frustrating to me. Wondered if anyone else has that problem. Thanks cheryl :D
I just went to Joanns in Lexington, KY. yesterday and the same thing happened to me. They cut it to the inch, or shorter, and then you have to straighten it up and it's even shorter. They don't give you and inch. I even took what was left on some bolts rather than leave a half yard or so and one bolt had a yard and 19 inches and they charged for the extra inch over
1 1/2 yds. I thought that was cheap. They did have a good sale. Batting was 40% off and the calico quilt prints were 30% off, plus a lot of other stuff. I spent 96 dollars quick and made myself get out of there before I spent more. I don't get there too often anymore, couldn't afford too. LOL

sassy granny
Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM

I am very precise in my cutting because I don't waste fabric when it costs $21-$26(on average) per metre.So yes, I get very stroppy when someone undercuts as I often can't make the block. I was undercut on every piece in another town recently. The man had never seen me before, so I suppose he thought he could get away with it, which was silly if I were to be a new customer. When I went back to complain he was at first resistant. Then the shop assistant spoke to me and told me how she remembered me from school. I was in a few grades ahead of her and she was in my sister's and cousins' class...the tone changed then and new cuts were made.
I am grateful to the assistant, who is obviously a diplomat, and this is just a long winded way of saying that I agree we should get what we pay for and not have to check every time.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM

All the local LQS I have been to are pretty generous. At my Joann's or HL I make it a point to say something about needing the full amount cause I am calculating it pretty close or something to that effect. It usually gets me a skosh over what I paid for. And also I always try to be extra nice to these people, I have worked in customer service and lots of these folks get treated miserably at times, so I think if you are really nice they want to be nice back.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM

What I really hate is when I get home and find that they did not cut a straight line so I am shorted on one side. Grrrrr.....
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM

[quote=QKO]In our small-medium online store, our practice is to give at least an extra inch on each yard and at least an extra 1/2 inch on each half-yard. We use precision rotary cutting with a locked t-square system to make sure our cuts are as straight as possible but the fabric isn't always rolled straight on the bolts. So the extra inch is sufficient in most cases to compensate for that and any ruler wiggle there might be. If it's really cockeyed on the bolt, we have to do more work to keep it straight. We also try to inspect every piece of fabric that goes out for any flaws. We end up cutting out a lot of flaws in the fabric on some fabrics, so this is a big expense as well.

No where near your shop, but thanks for this. People remember. The perfect cut would be from the factory, making sure the bolts are wound correctly. Cost effective for the factory, no. But would be nice for the purchaser.