Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Organized/Under Control >

Getting Organized/Under Control

Getting Organized/Under Control

Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have four WIP all different stages on my design wall. And what do I do? I saw a cute wall hanging pattern and started on that. I hate EQ7! I see a picture of a quilt project and I can redraft it perfectly in EQ so I want to make it right then.
lol--it's easy to do :)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM

I usually have one that has to be finished by a certain date, and I make my self finish that one before I work on the other ones. Well, that's my plan anyway. Since I need to finish my nephew's quilt for his birthday, I've made a quick baby blanket and some curtains and cut out another quilt. ummm, never mind. :-)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Perfect timing for this topic. I started trying to organize my stash yesterday and can't decide the best way to do it. The problem is I buy many pieces of fabric at different times that have the same theme, ex: retro, bears, country, etc. Hoping to have enough eventually for a quilt from each group. I was thinking of getting the gallon size zip bags and put a collection in each one.
Any other suggestions? Currently I have a few "bears" in one place, a few more "bears" across the room in another place. :)
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
Perfect timing for this topic. I started trying to organize my stash yesterday and can't decide the best way to do it. The problem is I buy many pieces of fabric at different times that have the same theme, ex: retro, bears, country, etc. Hoping to have enough eventually for a quilt from each group. I was thinking of getting the gallon size zip bags and put a collection in each one.
Any other suggestions? Currently I have a few "bears" in one place, a few more "bears" across the room in another place. :)
I do exactly that. Usually with the left overs of a project, but I do use ziplock bags to keep things organized. I also like to use rubber tubs and those plastic drawers that you get at walmart.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a terrible habit of picking up "my next project". For me, I have too many "next projects" sitting around.

Last night I was working on some pillow case kits and started wondering why I was doing them when I had other things I could and should be working on.

Oh the avoidance tactic because the pillow cases are quick. So when I went to bed I thought, "how can I get this back under control?"

Made the decision to bring all "next projects" out and see what was there and start working!

Here they are (all 18 of them):
Only 18???!!! :lol:

I see a Snap Sack in the back right there. I did the one for February of last year. It was pastel hearts and I love it! Which one do you have?

You can put all your projects back in your sewing room, on on top of the other with the one you want to do most on top.

If you figure out another secret to get all 18 done quickly, do share! :lol:

P.S. You're more organized than you think to have all of the patterns and fabrics together in a bag rather than just a pile here and a pile there. :thumbup:
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM

WOW!!! so very neat..... would you come to my house? I have self packaged projects that I am "making for myself" but the minute I pick something up, my eye slides over to something else that all of a sudden seems on intent of having me pick it up and push the others to the side. I have more projects "to the side" then I have sides to push them. And that includes pillow cases. I have a set of 400 thread sheets and I had found the perfect fabrics to make that second set of sheets to coordinate with the plains that comes with it. Unfortunately the new sheets finally got used after sitting for 5 months waitign for the matching pillow cases. I will admit that I have my fabric stash fairly under control. At least until I start picking up more that I absolutely have to have for that ONE quilt I want to make. Not sure what the ONE quilt is anymore, but I think we have done that within our little minds on occasions. I will say this and not in a pity party way, for whatever my quilter skilss are or will ever be, it has been the one thing that has me keep keep my sanity, me with two brain surgeries, my daughter with critial health issues and a son in Iraq for two tours, all this within less then a ten year period. Ny family teases me about getting me into a intervention program for overly stocked stashes, but each of them know what quilting is in my life. So I continue to have those special things I have at the top of my list which consists of no bottom of the lists anymore. I take my quilting seriously but not to the point of being anal, but to the point of wanting to be able to accomplish something from my heart to hand to another. This is a fantastic group that is extremely worth while being involved with and I . IMHO, think this is a great place for those who cannot get out very much to be able to learn, enjoy and visit. Back to my Sulky with another new needle and a "can do this" atitude. hugs, blue
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Longaberger baskets! My great aunt died (no children) and I was in charge of her estate: translated: cleaning out her house. It was packed full of 50+ years of stuff. She had a back room full of these baskets. My grandmother said the thinks my aunt use to sell baskets at one time. I think she must have collected them as none looked used. I found one that was a sewing basket. They are nice baskets but so many!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
WOW!!! so very neat..... would you come to my house? I have self packaged projects that I am "making for myself" but the minute I pick something up, my eye slides over to something else that all of a sudden seems on intent of having me pick it up and push the others to the side. I have more projects "to the side" then I have sides to push them. And that includes pillow cases. I have a set of 400 thread sheets and I had found the perfect fabrics to make that second set of sheets to coordinate with the plains that comes with it. Unfortunately the new sheets finally got used after sitting for 5 months waitign for the matching pillow cases. I will admit that I have my fabric stash fairly under control. At least until I start picking up more that I absolutely have to have for that ONE quilt I want to make. Not sure what the ONE quilt is anymore, but I think we have done that within our little minds on occasions. I will say this and not in a pity party way, for whatever my quilter skilss are or will ever be, it has been the one thing that has me keep keep my sanity, me with two brain surgeries, my daughter with critial health issues and a son in Iraq for two tours, all this within less then a ten year period. Ny family teases me about getting me into a intervention program for overly stocked stashes, but each of them know what quilting is in my life. So I continue to have those special things I have at the top of my list which consists of no bottom of the lists anymore. I take my quilting seriously but not to the point of being anal, but to the point of wanting to be able to accomplish something from my heart to hand to another. This is a fantastic group that is extremely worth while being involved with and I . IMHO, think this is a great place for those who cannot get out very much to be able to learn, enjoy and visit. Back to my Sulky with another new needle and a "can do this" atitude. hugs, blue
My hat is off to you! And also to your son. Please tell them "thank you" for. I appreciate our men and women in the military and am grateful for all I have today.

I think you have the right mind set. What is to be done is minor to what is done and given with love.

Thank you
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Longaberger baskets! My great aunt died (no children) and I was in charge of her estate: translated: cleaning out her house. It was packed full of 50+ years of stuff. She had a back room full of these baskets. My grandmother said the thinks my aunt use to sell baskets at one time. I think she must have collected them as none looked used. I found one that was a sewing basket. They are nice baskets but so many!
You can easily sell them on ebay. I have been thinking about doing that with some of mine since I have them in tubs in the basement. But that is going to wait a bit because they seem to be making a come back through my quilting.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by Conniequilts
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a terrible habit of picking up "my next project". For me, I have too many "next projects" sitting around.

Last night I was working on some pillow case kits and started wondering why I was doing them when I had other things I could and should be working on.

Oh the avoidance tactic because the pillow cases are quick. So when I went to bed I thought, "how can I get this back under control?"

Made the decision to bring all "next projects" out and see what was there and start working!

Here they are (all 18 of them):
Only 18???!!! :lol:

I see a Snap Sack in the back right there. I did the one for February of last year. It was pastel hearts and I love it! Which one do you have?

You can put all your projects back in your sewing room, on on top of the other with the one you want to do most on top.

If you figure out another secret to get all 18 done quickly, do share! :lol:

P.S. You're more organized than you think to have all of the patterns and fabrics together in a bag rather than just a pile here and a pile there. :thumbup:
April Showers