Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting ''perfect'' tensions

Great information. thanks for posting. What do you think would cause a vintage singer 66 to go in and out of tension? It will sew for a period of time fine, and then I have to adjust the needle tension, sometimes all the way to the higher numbers. then other times I have to push it back. I always use the same thread in needle and bobbin. thanks.

Great information written so that it is easily understood! I am saving this thread for reference, this is very helpful - thank you!
    Dawn

Blog Entries
    "What do you think would cause a vintage singer 66 to go in and out of tension? "

There could be different reasons...one thought that came to my mind was that maybe something got caught between the tension disks. Another thought is ...you have make sure that you have the presser foot "up" when you are threading your the top part of the machine. Don't put the presser foot down until you have done everything but put the thread through the needle. If the presser foot is down when you put the thread through the tension disks, then the thread does not go into the tension disks correctly.

I would also check the bobbin case to make sure that there weren't any burrs on it and that the bobbin tension was okay.
    Kathyj

Quote Originally Posted by kapatt View Post
    "What do you think would cause a vintage singer 66 to go in and out of tension? "

There could be different reasons...one thought that came to my mind was that maybe something got caught between the tension disks. Another thought is ...you have make sure that you have the presser foot "up" when you are threading your the top part of the machine. Don't put the presser foot down until you have done everything but put the thread through the needle. If the presser foot is down when you put the thread through the tension disks, then the thread does not go into the tension disks correctly.

I would also check the bobbin case to make sure that there weren't any burrs on it and that the bobbin tension was okay.
    Thanks. I'll do what you suggest.

Thank You! I had trouble with puckering I could not figure out how to solve on my Number Two Brother, now I know and will try adjusting BOTH tensions!

Thanks, I needed that
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have a Janome MC 6500 and I don't think I can mess with the bobbin tension because it is computerized. I quilt along and then suddenly I get a loop on the top of the quilt randomly,then nothing but nice stitches for a bit and then loop again. I am using Bottom Line thread, 70/10 needle,tension 4. Should the thread spool be coming off from the left or right side of the spool. (hope that is clear) I cleaned the lint out of the bobbin area and rethreaded the top and then put the bobbin thread in again with the spool going counterclockwise. Help!
    Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachga11?ref=si_shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2