Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting ready for a retreat, help please >

Getting ready for a retreat, help please

Getting ready for a retreat, help please

Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM

I agree with all the suggestions (and I have never thought of QuiltnNans...but I think its an EXCELLENT idea Nancy!)...I add my suggestion of a small table light. I never seem to have the right light in the right place. A small wooden TV tray covered in batting and fabric (stapled underneath) to have your own little ironing space-esp if you are doing small things. A good extention cord or strip/converter ..mine has an on/off switch so I can turn everything off when I leave. I am going to a 5 day class in Feb and am already starting to get my supplies together. Have a great time!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM

I agree with the previous suggestions. I would also bring a book. You might want to slip away and do some reading. I also bring my electric massager. Sitting and sewing especially in different chairs can bother my back.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM

All good advice--while our bedding is provided, I always take my own pillow and I also take my own chair and a light. I agree to take several projects, but do your major cutting at home. We can't take an iron as we have several stations set up and it blows the fuses if we have individual irons. And yes, everyone should have their emergency contact info at their machines-hopefully it will never be used. Also take your credit card or $$ as at ours we always go to the near by quilt shops (and we also have a massage therapist come on one day for those that want to pay for it).
Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 PM

I always take a large watt lightbulb for my room lamp. When I go up to bed I like to do handwork and the lamps are never bright enough. That way I don't have to unplug and bring a light from the sewing area. Then again, half the time I forget to change the bulbs back so I end up leaving my bulb there too.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
and member andylou posted this comment to my blog; found it very interesting: "Also, when our group goes on retreat each of us has an envelope under her sewing machine, only to be opened if the quilter needs medical attention. Lists a couple of family members to be contacted, doctor name and phone (including emergency number), list of medicines and medical problems, etc. This came about because once a member needed emergency medical care, of none of us knew the name/phone number of her daughter (she's a widow). Also, none of us knew of any existing medical conditions, etc. Have fun on your first retreat....I'm sure it will not be your last."
This is a fantastic idea!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

QuiltnNan what a good idea. We always think of the sewing machine etc but never medical issues. I am going on a retreat in March and going to pass this info. to others going.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I always take two machines to a retreat or workshop. One stays in the car unless someone needs it. It's not that uncommon for someone to forget a foot petal or plug and be stuck with no working machine. One retreat member had her machine mess up, every one there but her brought an extra machine. She had her choice of a lot of featherweights!

I keep a small first aid kit in my sewing tote for retreats. Bandaids, Neosporin with Pain Relief, Aleve, Benadryl, and Excedrin.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 AM

The place where my retreat was held had a huge room with large tables and chairs. However, I am short and the chair was too low for me and The table too high. Several of the ladies had fold up SewEze tables and some brought their own chairs. This year I am prepared with my own table and a chair that suits me. Besides, it gives me all the room on the regular table to lay things out. Extension cords are a must; I also have one of those fold-up cutting board and ironing surface for small things. I love retreats! Nothing like quilting in your jammies!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 AM

The hint about emergency numbers was a good one. Nothing puts a damper on your week end like a medical emergency. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, help is needed in a hurry. That should be on the list of things needed on the retreat sign up sheet. imho. Have fun and don't hurt yourself laughing!! Just kidding.
Sue
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm going on one this weekend, here's what I bring. Aside from clothes and normal quilting supplies, bathing suit (if pool), sewing machine and manual, seat cushion (or pillow), ott light, extension cord, foot pedal, extra needles, risers for tables, thread catcher, book, mug/tea, best press, camera, slippers, comfy clothes, and snacks and food (if refrigerator). Plenty of projects for machine or hand sewing. If you are bringing a new project, do all your cutting at home before your trip, that way you can sew, sew, sew. If bringing UFO's, bring several, you never know what you feel like working on. Always bring more and if you have an extra suitcase (on wheels), its a great way to bring all your projects and fabrics without having to carry them .