Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it? >

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

For complicated matching I machine baste the seam matches first. If not matched then it's easy to take out the few stitches and do it again. An angle seam seam is very hard to match, what looks straight really isn't.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Taylor's tacks have saved me lots of grief. Rhonda explains it well here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19176-1.htm
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Well if you wouldn't get so close with the camera we wouldn't have known it! :wink: Don't be so hard of yourself. I think it looks great because my seams never line up! :lol:
Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Getting things to line up was one of my biggest problems; then I started pinning on each side of the intersection and going over it slowly....voila, I am now alot more successful with my piecing. No one is perfect all the time; but I understand your concern and wanting to be more acurate. Hope this little piece of advice helps.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

It's hard to say from the closeup but how much difference is there? 1/8"? Odds are that the small misalignments really won't be noticeable when you look at the quilted and finished product.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
It's hard to say from the closeup but how much difference is there? 1/8"? Odds are that the small misalignments really won't be noticeable when you look at the quilted and finished product.
It's about an 1/8", maybe a little less. Thankfully no more for sure though. I know it won't be extremely noticeable once it's all put together and quilted, but if I could be more accurate I'd sure like to learn how. I'm not going to sweat these little misalignments, but maybe I can make less of them in my future blocks. :)
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Try using a double pin, it's U shaped. I had a lot of trouble, even when using pins on both sides of the seam. The double pins seem to hold the area better. Wath how you press, I tend not to catch the edge all the time. And try starching it really did help me.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I try to do my best but no one is perfect. Those blocks look great to me.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Maybe your fabric didn't feed evenly? I have a built in one and notice when it isn't engaged when I piece. Things don't always feed as evenly then. I've been told to use the pin in the seam method (Stick the pin straight in at the seams AT EVERY intersection on the side of the block you are working on before you even try to finish pinning the block. After you've aligned the seams pin at a 90 degree angle about 1/2 inch on either side of your seam. (I've seen one of my in-laws actually baste the intersections on a problematic block.) Then ease the rest of the side together.

I'm not perfect by any means, I rip a lot but I'm really picky. I've found that my block issues that were that far off were usually a sign that I'd cut slightly off (ruler slipped a little, held the cutter a little off angle, etc.). I would go back and remeasure just to be sure. A real good sign for me is if the sides of the block aren't perfectly even.

By the way, my husband always tells me no one will notice but you. Except the last time, when I realized the stripes were running in the wrong direction. I think someone else would notice that one too.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Those look great! Even if a little off.... if nothing else make 1 more, and consider it lap size.
All the ideas are great, I'll try the glue, do taylor tucks anyway, they work.
Have been known to use 3/8 seams for all, just easier to see on my machine 1/4 seems to be under the foot, & needle won't move over!!! (darn needle) :)