Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it? >

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM

When I am first piecing I use a stiletto to help guide the fabric through at the end (I tend to get lax at that point and the 1/4 inch thing isn't accurate unless I guide it). I think some people will use a bamboo skewer, small knitting needle, etc. The point is to guide the fabric at the beginning and end to ensure the seam is uniform throughout.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
When I am first piecing I use a stiletto to help guide the fabric through at the end (I tend to get lax at that point and the 1/4 inch thing isn't accurate unless I guide it). I think some people will use a bamboo skewer, small knitting needle, etc. The point is to guide the fabric at the beginning and end to ensure the seam is uniform throughout.
that's another great tip! I often use a skewer (or believe it or not, a dental pick)! works great!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 AM

I believe it. I hunted around for my old disecting probe but couldn't find it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM

I believe it. I hunted around for my old disecting probe but couldn't find it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Using the guide at the end is what I need, good idea. I hae to pay close attention or I also find the end not quite as accurate at times, and the more tired I am the more frequently it happens. GGEEEEE, but sometimes I just can't stop! LOL
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM

if your quilts get "hourglass shape" to them - wider at the top and bottom than in the middle - the pieces sneaking away from you at the end of the seamline is usually the culprit. using the stilleto (or your favorite tool!) is often the best solution - just to keep everyone in line.
Also sometimes a "leader and ender" will help - a scrap piece that you sew onto. For some reason you seem to keep things in line better using that technique. I'm personally big on the stilleto/skewer/dental pic!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 AM

I like the leader fabric thing. I saw the idea by accident. It makes things a lot easier to start with. Whatever you use, try not to use your finger to guide that fabric really close to the needle. Yikes, I had a close one when I was too lazy to grab the stilleto out of my bag that I'd used for quilting class. When I'm tired, I don't always make really good judgements.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM

I just joined this wonderful group and at fairly new at quilting, I have been taking lessons in town and loving it, I love your work and think you should stop picking on yourself so much, some of the things I have turned out make me blush but everyone else can't believe I did it. I loved all the answers you received and will try them myself, the one pin in each seam and holding them together to match really helped me, but think I will try the glue just to see which is better. Don't laugh at me, but what if our 1/4 " foot isn't really sewing 1/4", now wouldn't that be something...your doing great!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM

I actually have to adjust my needle for the 1/4 inch foot if my block was going to be 12 1/2 inches. Most patterns are really wanting a scant 1/4 inch. I tested mine in my quilting class on the first day. I think that might have been the first thing we actually did with the machine.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SherrieDLux
Don't laugh at me, but what if our 1/4 " foot isn't really sewing 1/4", now wouldn't that be something...your doing great!
honestly, most 1/4" feet take off just a thread to much fabric. Your pieces have to lie "within" the foot, and can't sneak out even one thread past their edge.