Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it? >

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You're doing some fairly complicated blocks, give yourself a break!! Being off that much on one seam in a whole block isn't bad at all!! Quilt it and wash it and you'll never see it.
I agree. I didn't see anything until you showed the enlarged photo...who looks that close?

Love your blocks!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM

I pin, pin, pin. Match up all points. My 2nd quilt was a Storm at Sea that took 2-1/2 years to finish. It wasn't paper pieced -- juat all cutting & sewing. It finally got finished about 1 month ago. Not all, but most of all the points came out well, all blocks aligned fine. It's using pins to align (at least that is what I found). I do have a for-giving machine I piece with, a Featherweight 221 that always has no problems with pins. My newer machine would never live over all the pins I used to alighn this quilt.

Linda
Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Once the whole quilt is done, no one will see the mis-matched seams. Every quilt is an individual and will have it's own characteristics, and that's ok! :D
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM

i'm a beginner so i can't criticize, but i love the blocks and the colors, good work, i know i hate my seam ripper too, lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM

My seams mostly match,but if they dont unless they are waaaay off, I dont sweat them. I piece quilts for enjoyment and fun. If you take the fun out I say quit. No one is perfect and noonw makes a perfect quilt. when it is quilted no one will even notice or see that a seam is off.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm new but not to sewing. I think that I must have invented the Zen of Sewing. Bond with your seam ripper, it is your best friend (mine's name is Jack), seams are meant to be broken, etc. I just chant while I rip. Sometimes it helps. I rip a lot because I'm picky.

Seriously though, there are a lot of different styles of rippers on the market. I found that the one supplied with my sewing machine wasn't pointy enough to really get the smaller stitches easily. There are others. I even broke down and bought a Gingher seam ripper off e-bay. One for me and one for my daughter. I cracked the jeweler up when I had our names engraved on them. I didn't want that one walking away. :D
Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM

I totally agree. Look at any antique quilt and you will likely see imperfections, but they have been enjoyed and loved for years. No one will notice. the only reason to aim for perfection is if you are entering a show and want a ribbon. If that is not your goal, then I say finished is better than perfect, and just try to learn something from your "goofs".
Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
When I am first piecing I use a stiletto to help guide the fabric through at the end (I tend to get lax at that point and the 1/4 inch thing isn't accurate unless I guide it). I think some people will use a bamboo skewer, small knitting needle, etc. The point is to guide the fabric at the beginning and end to ensure the seam is uniform throughout.
I use a cheap bamboo skewer inserted into a cushioned ball point pen. Just unscrew the top,remove the ink and tip, insert skewer, cut to length and screw the top back on. Cheap and easier to hold than plain skinny skewer. When the tip gets too dull or breaks off, just replace it.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Great idea. I never would have taken the time to think of that.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM

When I'm sewing pieces that are angled, I use my quick qtr 2 tool to mark my 1/4 seam allowance on the pieces and they match up every time!