Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it? >

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
My blogjust disappeared. I was saying, I took a class recently for a bargello and she gave us each a glue stick and we put a dab of glue on each seam and then matched the other side to it and pressed the two to go together with my finger. Then when I sewed them together the fabric worked itself in and the seams matched. I finished a king size bargello and all seams matched up. And the glue disappates quickly and does not gum up the needle for some reason. Hope this might work for you.
What kind of glue stick? A special sewing one or just Elmer's, etc.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I stick a pin straight down through both seams to be sure they're even then I pin along the seam line with a long pin, run it in and out like basting so I can open it up and peek, if it looks good I carefully repin off the seamline and remove the first one so I can sew. Sometimes nothing works. I've never made a perfect quilt but I have places on all of them that are!
I love your last statement...we are so not perfect but I too have places where it's just right! I found myself stymied by the fact that each seam was not just right on and perfect so it held me up from continuing on. I realized I "was the quilt police!" Now most are dead on right (by snugging the seams together) and some aren't and it still looks great and at least the quilt gets done! ;-)
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 AM

Here's my suggestion, Do the pinning as Rachel suggested only machine baste across the seams to see if everything matches before the final sewing. The basting can be left in then you don't stretch anything out of whack by removing the basting. I would also suggest sewing a scant 1/4 inch, this is one thread less than the full quarter which allows for the width of your thread.

(Check your stitching on some scraps, and see if you need to do some adjusting.)

I also check my seams frequently to make sure I am at the 1/4 inch mark. On some blocks you can get by with a little over or under if they are a consistent size but not when matching points.

You're getting lots of good advice, but sometimes it's only patience and practice that works.

Longarm
Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 AM

If you don't have a stilleto or haven't used one, I can say they are great for holding those small spots near the needle where I can't get my big fat fingers to.

And here's a cheap and easy way to get a bunch, buy a package of pointed orange sticks, the kind you use on your fingernails, they are long enough and pointy enough to use as a stilleto and if they break throw it out and get another out of the pack.

Just so you know our grandmothers did not always do perfect work, check out some antique quilts sometime. I just quilted a 40's top and all the corners don't match. I don't know when the 1/4 inch seam came into vogue by the quilt police. It certainly wasn't around when I learned to piece back in the 50's.

Enough said I enjoy the process and the finished top whether they are perfect or not.

"BETTER FINISHED THAN PERFECT!!"

Longarm
Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 AM

Okay, I know you'll probably all think I'm dense but it just hit me how the fact of all my seams being a bit deeper than 1/4" is probably my exact problem. That last strip is always a tad longer than the rest of the pieced block. I was thinking the problem was with that last strip itself. Thinking my 1/4" seam was too scant or something on that last strip (like I was sewing different on that last strip, huh? :P). Anyways, I know many of you have said you think the problem is my 1/4" being too deep, but I just couldn't see how that was causing this, until now! I can't explain how I see it in my mind but I totally understand it. I'm going to work on my scant 1/4" and try with the next block to see if that doesn't go a long ways in helping. I've really appreciated all the pinning and basting tips too! Besides just throwing a pin in here and there, and nesting seams, I've never known any better methods.

Thanks sooooo much again everyone! This board has helped me in so many ways thus far to improve my quilting, and I know y'all will continue to help me in the future!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 AM

Sometimes the pressing in seams stretches your fabric a bit. But pick up some quilt magazines and look carefully at the close-ups. You'll be surprised how often there are seams that don't match! It makes me feel much better to know that this happens to everyone, and doesn't compromise the beauty of the piece.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 AM

That is a beautiful quilt you are making!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 AM

I love your blocks & the colors. I'm so glad you asked the question...I guess I was embarrased to admit that I have so much trouble lining my seams up.

Thanks to you all for the great tips.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 AM

I have this problem too. I find it matters in which direction you are sewing your block together at the beginning. Be careful one flap doesn't thin out too much. Also when you actually sew the block with another block have the seam pointing up on top when you nestle them together. :-)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Okay, I know you'll probably all think I'm dense but it just hit me how the fact of all my seams being a bit deeper than 1/4" is probably my exact problem. That last strip is always a tad longer than the rest of the pieced block. I was thinking the problem was with that last strip itself. Thinking my 1/4" seam was too scant or something on that last strip (like I was sewing different on that last strip, huh? :P). Anyways, I know many of you have said you think the problem is my 1/4" being too deep, but I just couldn't see how that was causing this, until now! I can't explain how I see it in my mind but I totally understand it. I'm going to work on my scant 1/4" and try with the next block to see if that doesn't go a long ways in helping.
I was just surfing around on the web and found this page, which is helpful, I think. I have used the "index card" trick myself when teaching about 1/4" seams. This is a nice explanation with pics, and good exercises to take to your machine. maybe it will help you out. Hope so!
http://quiltville.com/quarterinch.shtml