Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it? >

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Getting seams to match up. Will I ever master it?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I know it won't be extremely noticeable once it's all put together and quilted, but if I could be more accurate I'd sure like to learn how.
Thems two pair of shoes:
1. Not only will it be "not extremely noticeable" - you will be hard-pressed to find it. I went throught thesame agony on my first few quilts. I thought that the MISTAKE would be so glaring that everyone would just turn in disgust. When the quilt was done, I would spend a long time staring at it, trying to find it. Your colors are so soft, that little blip is going to blend right in.

2. Getting better: with your attitude of wanting to be more accurate, it will happen. You will pick up new tricks (pinning, press so the seams nest, sew a scant 1/4" and trim if necessary....). Just so you realize, the quilt may have a mind of its own. I try to be accurate in my work and sometimes it doesn't matter what I do - the seam wants to be off. I will pick and resew twice. The third seam stays!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM

I love this board - I have been struggling with the same thing in some windmill/pinwheels - they are now staying unripped, and a reminder that finished is better than perfect.
Thank you all.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Just a thought...my sewing machine has a tendency to "push" places with seams. Am in the process of pressing all my seams open to try and counteract this problem. It happens when the seam is pressed towards the machine as it approaches. It doesn't happen when the seam is pressed in the direction towards me. (Does this make sense?)
I had this problem, so I tried loosening the tension on the presser foot, and it does help to not push the fabric.. I have had very good luck with this. also pressing your seams opposite directions on each piece makes them lie flat and so it doesnt push the fabric and mess up the seam alliance.. does this make sense?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM

I must have mine to line up. And they do. I don't know what to tell you, though, that might be good advice. Other than pinning ... you stick a pin (Pin #1) in the one side exactly where the seams meet and then continue (same pin) into the next section exactly where the seams meet ... then pull the pin (better if it's a glass-head silk pin) as far as it will go; take Pins #2 & #3, putting one on each side of Pin #1 and secure your 2 sections before removing Pin #1. If it's still "iffy", drop your sewing machine needle into the spot where Pin #1 was, making sure that it is exactly where you need to sew and sew from there one way, check it for accuracy, turn it around and sew the other way. This probably makes no sense and I wish I could show you ... it would take us only a couple minutes.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I try to be accurate in my work and sometimes it doesn't matter what I do - the seam wants to be off. I will pick and resew twice. The third seam stays!
I love that self imposed rule! Sounds like one I might adopt for my own sewing.

I haven't worked on these blocks again since I started this topic, but I'll update how my next block goes when I get back to them. Thanks again everyone! I've really appreciated all the tips, advice, and just plain good 'ole encouragement! :)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 PM

[quote=MadQuilter]
Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I try to be accurate in my work and sometimes it doesn't matter what I do - the seam wants to be off. I will pick and resew twice. The third seam stays!
I'm with you! that is exactly what i do. after the 2nd time, you have to believe there is another power taking over that seam! don't mess with mother nature!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 PM

I've found after a couple rips, the fabric has stretched a little. I just figured out where my mistake is on the quilt I am working on and it showed (mine was dark blue and a white intersection that was off by more than 1/8 inch). After a lot of remeasuring I finally figured out my problem wasn't the sashing I just put on but the square itself. Now its is off less than 1/8 inch and I'm going to have to let it go.

I've learned a lesson today: Measure before you rip because what you think is the problem might not be the issue.

I took that darn sashing strip off twice.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM

First of all, these blocks are beautiful. I agree that the slight mismatch is not noticable and as far as I'm concerned doesn't detract from the beauty at all.
But I also know that when this kind of thing bothers me, I just have to figure it out.
I have actually resorted to working from both ends of the seam until I get close enough to make sure the intersection matches. After pinning I use a basting stitch and sew a little way in from both ends then when I make sure I have a match it is easy to remove those basting stitches. I don't use this very often but if something is making me crazy I will resort to crazy ways to make it work. lol
You are working on the bias so there is always a risk of stretching. I find that to be a real issue in blocks like the ones you are working on.
Good luck. They are beautiful.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM

You learn to manipulate the blocks to fit. I've taken several classes that have helped me to get better aligned blocks. Some times though I can't make them line up perfectly. Pinning is a great help, you have to pin right, I can do it, but I can;t explain it. Sorry.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM

At a quilt show I saw a shirt on someone that said on the back "It'll quilt out". Sounds like a good attitude!