Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Those Labels On >

Getting Those Labels On

Getting Those Labels On

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM

I only usually put labels on it if I gift it. i am donating a stack to the va hosp sp notgoing to put labels on:-).
Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM

My machine has lettering capabilities, and lately I have been putting the important information on the binding. If it is a special quilt or an heirloom, then I do a label, but the gifty ones for DGK's or family, I just put a date and who made it and offer a thank you to the designer if I didn't do it myself
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Quilt Labels

I create a custom label for each quilt using my 5D Viking software and my embroidery machine. I include census data and a chosen Bible verse.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I never put labels on my quilts. I just don't think it's important 100 years from now to know who made them. I'm only talking about me - I'm not advocating this for anyone else. It's not that I make ugly quilts, I don't. They are as nice as most I have seen here and nicer than some and not as nice as others. It just seems like arrogance to me to say "I made this."
It's actually very important 100 years from now. There are Quilt Documentation Programs in almost every state now and all those records and pictures will eventually be fed into the MSU Quilt Index for people like us to use as a reference when someone asks "do you know what pattern this is?" http://www.quiltindex.org/

Someone generations from now will want to know who made the quilt they have inherited, purchased, or rescued and when it was made. How many times has someone here posted that they wished the vintage quilt they got at the flea market had a label on it? So, yes, it's important to label them even if they're staying home with you. And no, it's not arrogant at all to sign your work, but you could just use your initials and the date if that's more comfortable.

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM

When someone said just put initials on an item made me think about my Grandson one time . My daughter and I had the same initials before she married , and she is not the least bit crafty and I did alitttle of everything . I had done some cross stitch and of course put my initials on them and the year, my grandson was looking at it and asked his Mother 'did you make that?' He was looking at the initials and new they were his Mothers at one time. Of course we all got a big laugh out of that cause she can't even sew on a button!!! But on down the generations there may be some confusion especially if they didn't know which one was crafty!! LOL