Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift ideas needed >

Gift ideas needed

Gift ideas needed

Old 07-21-2021, 02:11 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm now thinking about bowl cozies with a jar of homemade soup mix inside. Found a great recipe for various types of soups-in-a-jar somewhere online. I can tie each cozy and jar up with a nice bow and some instructions, of course.

As for bookmarks, as a librarian, I don't really like fabric bookmarks because they are often too thick and stress the bindings. I do like paper ones, or the fabric triangles you can put over the corners, though.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

How about heavy paper book marks with the word read embroidered onto it. Do you have a embroidery feature on your machine? You can then embellish it with beads or a charm.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Maybe have a(n) (optional) food drive instead of a gift exchange?

My small quilting group exchanged those types of gifts for many years - as nice as some of them were, they are actually clutter for me now.

I am old(er) - so that may be a lot of where I am coming from.

I have actively disliked "holiday gift exchanges" for work or organizations for as long as I can remember. In my opinion, they are just one more source of stress during the holiday season.

We did a "clothing drive" for a pregnancy/family organization at a Christmas cookie exchange at the RV park a couple of years ago instead of exchanging gifts with one another. I really liked doing that. Participation was optional.

But - this may be a long-standing tradition that you wish to continue - so I hope you come up with something that you are comfortable with.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Totally agree with you, BearIsGray ... sometimes these extra gifts go beyond the necessary. (with no offence to those who want to do so)

Sadly, these token gifts, often are not as appreciated by the recipients as they exude at the time!

The switch to charitable gifts are a kindly gesture, in place of tokens can serve a very worthwhile purpose. However, they too can be a stress addition in our lives.

A few years ago, that's exactly where I was ... on the treadmill of an already busy schedule of life, and Christmas preparations. Then, it seemed, everywhere I was going (groups, church, work, chiropractor, physio etc.) was another charitable gift required, with specifics as to what it should be. Finally I relented with a shopping trip, just for the purpose. It was not a fun time, and not at low cost to me. Then there was the challenge of making sure I took the right item(s) for each collection. arrgghhhhhhh!!

Kind of took away the warmth of the gestures, and spoiled the whole thing for me.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM

I guess I have to agree with bearisgray about when you get older you are trying to do some "shredding" of things in your life. That is what my daughter says every time I try to "shed" something on her. When I was younger I didn't feel that way so much so I understand both sides of gift giving. Good luck on what you decide.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:11 PM

I made bowl cozies for my family last Christmas. They were VERY well received and I think a few people would like another round! I like the bookmarker idea. If you used an embroidered ribbon, the bulk would be mitigated.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I have so many thoughts. Holidays are always stressful because I am not Christian and don’t celebrate Christmas. But I am always kind and appreciative when I am gifted the endless
round of Christmas (not holiday) themed gifts, some homemade. I am sad to know someone went to all that work for something I will never use. I try and not be at most celebrations around that time of year.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My niece made tree decorations last year for employee gifts. She got blasted for assuming all celebrated Christmas by several co workers. They came to the Christmas party with Christmas theme and she gave each attendee a handmade decoration, a fabric folded star. She wanted to do something special due to the pandemic atmosphere. Her supervisor told her to apologize for offending these employees. The company gave out Christmas stockings filled with items and the 'offended ones' didn't complain about those. She now has a new and better job. It's almost impossible to be nice anymore, only generic hello and how can I not offend you today?
Geez. How awful for her. I can't imagine being in the situatoin. I'd think if you came to a Christmas party, you'd expect it to be Christmas themed. Anyway, I'm glad she has a new and better job. Good for her!
Old 07-23-2021, 05:42 AM

I am not in a quilt guild, but am in a couple card clubs and we decided several years ago to put money in an envelope..everyone gave what they wanted, and gave it to the City Clerk in our town to put toward the utility bill of a family in our town who had been having a tough year. It isn’t a large amount, but hopefully helps out some. No stress.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 AM

Default Gift ideas needed

We decided several years ago not to exchange gifts. Instead we each give $10 which goes to our community Backpack program program that helps feed kids when not in school over the weekend.