Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifted fabric  - need advice and opinions >

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM

I say keep what you like to make things with, use the ugly stuff to practice quilting motifs perhaps, use it for rags if needed, or donate to charity as is. If you want to make a quilt for charity, check to see their requirements for fabric before spending the time. I believe in giving what you'd like to receive in terms of quality, regardless of the recipient (unless it's a pet). I have learned not to store what drags my spirits down. I want to surround myself with beauty and happy fabric. Don't feel obligated to keep someone else's castOffs!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM

I have mentioned before that my dear Mother sewed all her life. I have all her fabric, which includes all kinds. She made my clothing, DD's, fathers western shirts, her own, worked at a job all her life...then in her spare time, she sewed for the public! I plan to take the large assortment of cotton/poly fabric and make my version of Amish quilts. Since they will be made of blends, poly batting, spare sheets(blends), I'm looking forward to the challenge. Now, if I can just figure out what to do with the rest.....since I don't do garments any more!!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 View Post
I was recently gifted two large bags of fabric by a very nice lady in my neighborhood. When I got the fabrics home and was sorting through them, I discovered that 50 percent of them were polyester blends, the rest are cotton sheets, curtains, etc. I was able to pull out some cotton solids and prints. My first inclination was to get rid of the fabrics, but it is so hard to do! Has anyone used cotton sheets or blends to make quilts? I am thinking I might use some to make charity quilts. Opinion?
I do a lot of pillowcases. Poly/cotton is great for that. And I'll use almost anything woven for my rag blankets. I AM NOT A PURIST! Absolutely not!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I say keep what you like to make things with, use the ugly stuff to practice quilting motifs perhaps, use it for rags if needed, or donate to charity as is. If you want to make a quilt for charity, check to see their requirements for fabric before spending the time. I believe in giving what you'd like to receive in terms of quality, regardless of the recipient (unless it's a pet). I have learned not to store what drags my spirits down. I want to surround myself with beauty and happy fabric. Don't feel obligated to keep someone else's castOffs!
IMO, save the bending to another's rules. Make "charity" quilts for someone local who had a fire or flood. Those people will value your work.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am sorry, but Harriet Hargrave taught me to use the best fabrics and batting you can afford. Charity quilts should be made out of the same fabric that you would make for yourself. Just my opinion.
I've made well over 50 rag blankets for seriously ill folks in my community. NOt a one has ever complained about their blanket "not being the best". For starters, I can't afford to buy the best.

BTW, this winter I've made 3 pair of jammer bottoms for me, 2 for my hubby, two each for 3 grandchildren from $2, $2.50 and free flannel sheet sets. Got the green/black plaid on right now. So, what I'd use for myself is cheap! But very usable.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Thank you all so much for your input! I am going to sort through the fabrics again and look at it with a different eye. I think some of it I will definitely use for FMQ practice and working up practice blocks! Also, my grandsons would not care what the fabric is if Memaw made them a quilt to drag around!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Since you are the one who will be working with it, I'd let how I feel about each fabric determine whether I would keep it or pass it on. Do you like the feel and look of the fabric? If so, use it!

I'm still working through four wonderful boxes of scrap fabric that was gifted to me recently. I am going through every piece and sorting it. Many, many pieces went into my 'take to thrift store' pile, simply because they felt horrible or were really ugly to my taste. Be good to yourself as a quilter and only use what you enjoy working with!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:33 AM

Any cotton/poly I get goes to Goodwill. I just don't like the feel of it and I don't like sewing with it. Any cotton sheets I get, are washed and used as sheets.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 AM

I have been given bags of fabric also, and this is what I do!! I keep the cotton, and donate the polyesters to a craft store or your local Salvation Army or Goodwill. There are people who make things out of polyester. I keep anything that starts with the letter COTTON! I don't know for sure when I will use it, but someday I will. I have also said to the person gifting me "I only use cotton, but I can donate this fabric if you are sure you don't need it for anything. There are a lot of people that sew with polyester." You're killing two birds with one stone here. And the person will appreciate it also - because she will know it is going to a good cause.

Happy Cutting! Edie
Old 02-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Our quilt guild even used polyester material to make 9" x 9" squares sewn together and then tied for quilts for nursing homes.