Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifted fabric  - need advice and opinions >

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
Our quilt guild even used polyester material to make 9" x 9" squares sewn together and then tied for quilts for nursing homes.
OUr ladies At church use the polyester for our nursing homes around here. The staff really like them because of the way they stand u to washing.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=ManiacQuilter2;7084938]I am sorry, but Harriet Hargrave taught me to use the best fabrics and batting you can afford. Charity quilts should be made out of the same fabric that you would make for yourself. Just my opinion.[/QUOTEooooj

My best fabric may be your worst. If fabric is suitable for the purpose intended, does it matter where it comes from?

I also think donation quilts should be made so they hold together, feel nice, and can survive washing.

My Grandma told me once ( about 30 years ago) that she had been told that some charity quilts should be ugly so they would be less likely to be stolen or sold. The primary purpose was to help keep the recipient warm.

As far as the bags of fabric - keep what you want. Pass the rest along or discard it.

I hang my head in embarrassment at what I donated many years ago! I really did not know any better then.

Some of my cotton poly blends feel wonderful to me. The weave and percentages of the fibers also factors into the feel and suitability.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM

I have many polyester fabrics and find that they work well in quilts. If you read a history of quilting you will find that most fabrics have and are used in quilting.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
There's been a lot of quilts made over the years with poly blends and sheets. I'm not sure about the curtains. If it's heavy material, tote bags maybe?
Rodney
If the curtains have any fading at all, do not use them in quilts. I made that mistake years ago, and all of the sun faded cloth dissolved with the first ten washings! Very upsetting! Sun damage equals weakness! Use the faded stuff to stuff dog beds or something similar...
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM

I quilt with a group of wonderful ladies at our local Lutheran Church. We appreciate any donations of fabric and love to get sheets for backing. We send over 250 sheets a year to needy people all over the world. We also give some to people in our town. It's a wonderful feeling to know that you have helped others stay warm.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
I was given a huge tote of scraps from garment sewing. So far I've made 8 quilts for charity. I did separate the fabric by weight, and will eventually make a quilt from the denim/duck/corduroy scraps. What I'm using now is a mix of cotton and cotton/poly. The quilts are bright and fun, and I'm having fun. Eventually I'll post pictures of some of them.

If I only used high quality quilter's cotton, I would have to throw away most of these scraps. That seems very wasteful. These quilts are all for hospitalized children. They do not have a clue about the fabric content of these quilts. They just know they have something fun to look at and something to cuddle with.

I suspect that if we limited ourselves to only LQS quilting fabric many of us would not be making very many quilts - it's just too expensive. I resent that people suggest that my quilts are not good enough because I haven't used expensive fabric.
I have always seen quilts as a hug I want someone to have when I am gone. I have never run across someone who actually complained about a quilt I made, but if I ever do, it will just be the last they ever get. I work hard to make my quilts, and only for loved ones, (OK, so I have made a few to sell) so if I hear a complaint, I have already decided what my response will be. Love it or lump it, my job is done.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM

I have been give many bags of fabric, and some of the fabrics were just pieces of stuff I would never use in a quilt. Those I tossed. Some of them, while being all cotton, were simply not my style or downright ugly. I cut all those into squares to use in utility quilts. Some of them were cotton blends, denim, corduroy, etc. Those were also cut down into squares. Larger pieces (over 1 yard) were kept and used for pieced backings for utility quilts. I have just finished my 3rd utility quilt of this winter....each one with double poly batting for extra warmth. My girls love them because they know the quilt is washable and durable. The most recent is made from extra blocks from many different quilts....it is quite a wild looking thing, but it will keep my family warm and nobody cares what they look like when they are cold. Use what you have if you can, donate what you can't and don't fret over it....just not worth the time.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 AM

I smiled to read that donation quilts should be made of the same things I make for myself, because I do agree. I use blends, sheets, etc. in quilts for my family as well as in donation quilts. I would never take an attitude that oh they are homeless, let them have this old icky stuff. But I do have the attitude that if it's good enough for anyone else, it's good enough for me.

Another user of sheets for all aspects of quilting here. I especially love using them for borders as they can be seamless due to the length of the sheet fabrics!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 AM

Our ancestors used whatever was available, we can too!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

I have only read the first page of this thread.

There is no rule that says you have to keep the fabric.

If your first inclination is to get rid of it that is perfectly okay. Do not feel obligated to make charity quilts because you were given fabric you would not use for your own quilts. There are lots of places that would be happy to take the fabric and make use of it.

I belong to a group that is making charity quilts for teens in a shelter. We individually make blocks and as a group make the quilts. We only use new cotton quality quilt fabrics.