Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gifts from quilters to other quilters

Are a lot of your friends quilters also? Do you find that you seldom receive anything quilted from them? Do you suppose they think if you wanted anything quilted, you'd do it yourself? I find this very puzzling and have thought about it often. Maybe just one of life's many ironies. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have received a quilt from another quilter

I don't ever make anything for other quilters because I assume they would make it for themselves if they wanted it!

Banned
    I have received patterns, books or rulers but never a quilted item. I asked once and the friend said "you taught us to quilt, we could never do one as nice as yours". In a way it made me feel bad they felt that way but I guess I would also.

I have one of my quiting friends whomn we always are giving things we've done for each other.

She does more handmade things for me though, as she is retired and I'm not!

Debs & Hemi

Blog Entries
    I don't have any quilting friends other than the folks here. I did make my secret santa pal a couple of items for Christmas. Nothing elaborate, but something she may not get to make for herself.

Blog Entries
    I like to give my quilting friend things like patterns, notions she may not have, and fabric. Once I even gave her fabric I had ordered from Spoonflower, it was made of doodles she had drawn. She LOVED it.

I think gifts like these enable her to enjoy her quilting hobby even more.

Blog Entries
    p.s. Having said that, I probably WILL make a miniature quilt for her, simply because she loved the first one I made and said she wanted it. :)

I have a couple of gals that I share books, patterns, etc. with. Finding a great fabric or two for birthdays and such is fun. Swaps are neat too!

Blog Entries
    One quilting friend knew I crocheted some so she made me a quilted crochet hook keeper. I love it. One of the most useful quilted gifts I have gotten was a quilted name tag!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    Are a lot of your friends quilters also? Do you find that you seldom receive anything quilted from them? Do you suppose they think if you wanted anything quilted, you'd do it yourself? I find this very puzzling and have thought about it often. Maybe just one of life's many ironies. :roll:
    One of the gifts I gave to the quilters at our church was personalized needle books. I used white aida cloth, put a border around the cover that included each one's name. It wasn't a quilted item, but it was quilter's item.

My MIL is a quilter and I have received numerous quilted gifts from her, but never been brave enough to make her one. She is so much better than I am! I did make her some beaded Christmas ornaments though. She really liked that they were hand-made.

My only real life quilty friend just made me a quilt for my baby son. So no, I guess I get lots of gifts from other quilters!

In fact, I am the one who has not made any quilts for them!!!

Blog Entries
    most of my quilty friends give quilty gifts to each other- in fact in our little group the holiday exchange rule is- what ever it is has to be home made- not to say we don't toss in a spool of thread, or the newest gadget-ruler- what ever---our gifts always start with something quilty made by us. and i have wonderful quilts that were gifts from friends who quilt- and they have quilts from me.

Blog Entries
    I've never received a quilted gift from a friend just because. But, I do swap here and I guess one could consider that those are gifts to me. :)

Blog Entries
    No quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I don't ever make anything for other quilters because I assume they would make it for themselves if they wanted it!
    Don't "assume"...there is an old saying what "assume" does...lol...A fellow Bd. member has gifted me with two quilted items...I treasure them so much more than any other kind of gift...My Dad was a contractor and builder...our house was always the last one in line when something needed fixing...I think it's the same with quilters...they usually put themselves last in line to make something for their very own...who better than another quilter would understand the time, cost, effort, etc. that goes into a quilted item?...I am sure other quilters would greatly appreciate a quilted item as a gift...Naomi

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's what I'm saying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    That's what I'm saying!!!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: We agree completely...lol..Naomi

all of my friends are artists and we do not give each other works.

its how we all make our living and how many people give away their employment services for free to friends.

only DH and i exchange art with each other.

I make a great thing for quilters. It is a sewing caddy and several from the board have purchased them.

I usually give my quilting friends fabric, threads, books or patterns. I just asume they make all the quilts that they may want.

I've never given another quilter a quilt I made as a gift but have made quilts for others through secret gift bag exchanges. And for those quilting buddies that I do exchange gifts we exchange lots of new/unusual gadgets, fabrics and ideas. I have in fact receive 2 quilts from quilters as a past guild president which are very dear to me and are on my bed.

I only know one person who quilts that lives near me. We are just getting into quilting and have done one roadtrip to look for fabric.

Blog Entries
    I have no quilting friends. (other than the lovely lot on the QB)

I have quilts from my aunt, and I made her an abbey bag last year for her sewing room

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast