Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?giving your top to professional quilter?? >

?giving your top to professional quilter??

?giving your top to professional quilter??

Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM

I guess I am "old school" but I hand quilt because I have always felt that this made it more a part of me. I have not even tried to FMQ though I think it is very pretty. When I go to antique stores, I can pick out the really old quilts just by looking at them because they were all hand quilted.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
As a longarm quilter I am more anxious about doing the quilting for one of my customers than I am on my own quilts because I do know how much time and effort and love are put into these quilt tops. I never feel that they are just a piece of fabric. I feel really honored that someone would trust me enough to hand off their hours of labor to help put the next step of the process together for them. I have never asked anyone to include my name on one of their labels.
I completely agree! I stress/sweat/labor/dream over my customers' quilts, but not with mine! My name, as far as I know, is not on any of the quilts I've quilted for others, not even the prize-winning ones, and that's all right with me. It's not MY quilt, I just made the sandwich with the fixin's supplied by someone else.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Long arms are expensive. It may not pay off in the long run. Some people make 5-10 quilts in a month but are they attractive? Or are the blocks so large that it takes away the quilt charm.
I am going to start with a small quilt , turn the machine around put it on free motion and practice that way. It may be my replacement for a longarm. But for big quilts, I will hire out. I don't plan to make many large quilts. Too much work!
Check out the LAQ work and get recommendations before you hire out. Some have quilts on display at quilt shows and you can see what type of work they did.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
Sorry, what is a quilting bee?

Even if you dont HAVE to give credit to a longarm quilter on your label, I would never do such a thing. But not without the feeling, that it is all my quilt anymore.
QUILTING BEE - is when several people get together to work on one quilt. Or at least this is my understanding of what it is. In modern times, people might call it a quilting bee if they just get together to work each on their own projects.