Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving Away your completed projects

nab
    I have a habit of giving away my projects to anyone who showes a real liking for them. Last weekend I made 4 super simple table runners. Of course I brought them in to show the girls at work and by the time I went home they all had new homes. Plus, I need two more. I can't help it. If you show a real liking to one of my creations you may very well go home with it. I had one quilt that I made at a class and my niece ended up taking it home with her. My sister commented one Christmas after she did not get a quilt, "when do I get a quilt?". Well she also took home a quilt. I made myself a quilted purse last month. Now they all (4 out of 5, one is in a wheelchair and does not carry a purse) want one for Christmas. I love giving things to them because I know they will use and love them. Is there anyone else that does this or am I just too easy?

Nope, I have been sewing since I was five or six years old, I only have a very few things that I have actually made for myself!!
    But, I love giving my home made things to others! It gives me great joy!

Im like that too!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I do it all the time. I had a quilt I made to take to football games, I took it once and didn't bring it home, it has a new home now. So you are far from alone in this.

Blog Entries
    I so the same thing!

Blog Entries
    Me to.

DJ
    Please show us some of your quilts, and I'll tell you which one I like best! :)

I do something similar. When I make a quilt top and don't know who it's going to, I don't always get it quilted right away. If I end up showing it to a friend or relative and they fall in love with it, I will finish it up and gift it to them.

bj
    That's the main reason I like to quilt...to give it to someone who I know will use it or who needs it. I only have one that I kept, but it's really one I made for my husband, so I'm not even sure that one counts. It just gives such a warm feeling to see someone light up when they get it. You can't buy that!

Show us a picture or two and I'll bet someone will like the heck out of them!

Same here. All someone has to say is "I would love one like that" and it's theirs.

Me too most of my quilts are given to family first then friends - I had a lovely Amish one which I really wanted to keep but my eldest daughter kept saying how lovely it was so guess where it is - yep in her new home but I know its loved and used so that more than compensates

It always gives me a good feeling when someone get one of my creations. I have a couple around here but most I give away.

Blog Entries
    LOL I think that is why we quilt to make others happy :lol: I love to make things for others :thumbup:

Yup - guilty as charged!

Blog Entries
    Years ago I made and sold lot of craft items. I would sell them to help with family expenses. Now, I enjoy just giving things away. I do wish I'd taken pictures of my creations. I rarely kept things for myself.
    I like the feeling I get from sharing my talent.

Quote Originally Posted by brwnntwn
    Yup - guilty as charged!
    Me too. :thumbup:

I have given many away.I try to sell some too-but at the holidays my family gets quilts

I donate a lot of mine for local charity or fundraising auctions. But I also give a lot of them as gifts. If someone really admires something, they may not get it immediately. But I make a note of it and they usually get it (or something like it) as a gift at a later date.

Blog Entries
    Can I be on your Christmas list! I give things away when I can.

Blog Entries
    Seems like it's our nature to give away our handiwork! Knowing that the quilts I make get a good home and are truly cherished is good enough reason to let them go. I also sell some quilts...most people who understand the work that goes into them are happy to pay for such a treasure!

Blog Entries
    I must be related to you, quilting sister.. I do the same thing.. I make quilts, runners, ect, thinking I will make them for myself, which by the time they are done, I find someone I know who is having a hard time with discouragement, or someone who is sick, ect.. I give everything away.. I know, people have told me I should not do that, but that I should save it for myself, or even sell the quilts, ect.. I feel differently I guess, as I am more blessed to give away when I can bless someone else. Even though I havent't got the fabric stash some of ya'll have, I do have scraps, and I do have a willing heart to bless someone with a small gift sometimes. Thank you for blessing others with your giving heart, too.. Made me smile today knowing we are " related" lol..

The only reason we have any quilts on our beds is because my husband won't let them out the door. I just don't show him the ones I give away ;-)

I am jumping on this "guilty" band wagon.

I think that is why I have started joining the swaps from this board. Someone likes my stuff and I love what I get from them.

Blog Entries
    Debra - :-D Your man sounds awesome, lol.

I think most crafters/sewers/quilters suffer from this affliction. I am always making things to share with family & friends. I get so much enjoyment sharing. Last year I finally made myself a large quilted Christmas tree skirt, showed it to my BF & he talked me into showing it to his mom. She had always wanted a large quilted tree skirt and fell in love with mine. So of course I had to share it with her. I went home and made myself a much smaller one tree skirt, so I could have it done in time for Christmas. Finished it and my sister came by and wanted it. So guess what??? :roll: I used an old sheet under my tree. This year I am hiding my tree skirt until all done and then gonna put Hands Off sign on it hahahahaha :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    That's the main reason I like to quilt...to give it to someone who I know will use it or who needs it. I only have one that I kept, but it's really one I made for my husband, so I'm not even sure that one counts. It just gives such a warm feeling to see someone light up when they get it. You can't buy that!

Show us a picture or two and I'll bet someone will like the heck out of them!
    What did you say your address is????? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm afraid I give it all away, too. I do have a few things, but most are gifted away. Luckily I know they are all loved and appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast