Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue basting for weaklings >

Glue basting for weaklings

Glue basting for weaklings

Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 PM

Question Glue basting for weaklings

I'm trying glue basting for the first time. I think I got enough glue on but it was hard to tell because I could barely see the white glue against the white batting. Also, my hand is killing me now from squeezing the glue bottle. Is there an easier bottle to use? I don't really want to deal with mixing glue to spray it but if there's a bottle that is easier to squeeze that might help.

So far I put the batting and backing together and quickly ironed over it. Tomorrow I'll tackle the top.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 PM

Next time try 505 it sprays a light spray. Reading your comments I hope you have not put toooooooo much glue on as these will be difficult to sew through.
The 505 is expensive I wait for offers 2 at cheap price. Put a very light spray quick it will hold and undo and replace. All I get is a little blob of glue half way up needle .it stays there all the time.
I wonder if you could water down and spray on or paint on..
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 AM

I can't use any sprays. For one thing I won't spray in the house and I have no clean place to spray outside. I get migraines from sprays and my daughter has asthma.

I've used the glue for binding and matching seams lots of times with no trouble so I don't think my machine will have a problem with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 AM

In tutorials is a homemade spray which you may be able to use and not to hard on your hand. I prefer to use a hand spray than to try to squeeze a bottle. Sorry couldn't help.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

you do not say what *type* of bottle you are using for your glue- but a different shape may be easier. another thought is-
*I've done this with small projects & it worked well*=
I've opened my glue bottle & used a paint brush to brush the glue onto my project. if it's a large project you could pour the glue into a dish- thin it a little bit & use a fairly large brush
another option would be to add water-thin the glue down a bit so it is not so difficult to get it flowing out of the bottle.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM

I haven't tried this yet but I bought the glue. I like the idea of thinning it down in a dish and using a paint brush to apply. I'm going to try it on something I'm not using the Hobbs fusible on. I love the fusible because the quilt can get mushed up in your machine and still not have any puckers on the back. Maybe you can try some of that and save yourself the trouble of gluing.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 AM

If you're using Elmer's it does not have to cover every inch of the batting and it's much, much better if it doesn't cover every inch. You only need a thin line of glue about every 5 to 6 inches or so.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

What Scissor Queen said. I drizzle a sort of thin grid over sections of batting smoothing as I go. It doesn't take long.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 AM

I put a quilt together last week. I had been 'drizzling' Elmers before but my hand got so tired that I decided to try thinning the Elmers with warm water until it was thin enough to spray a fine mist. It worked WONDERFULLY well. When I was done spraying I could hardly tell that there was anything on it so I ran my hand over where I had sprayed. It did a fantastic job!!! No globs or overgluing. It really doesn't take much. Try it...you will be surprised!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I use my folding table to spray baste. it could be taken outside and the used there. I tried glue on my binding once, it came right through the fabric. tiny dots too. so no more glue for me.