Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Glue Stick For Basting >
  • Glue Stick For Basting

• Glue Stick For Basting

Old 12-06-2015, 03:59 PM

I use Elmer's white washable liquid school glue with no problems.I use this for quilting.
    I let it dry or if I am in a hurry you can iron it dry.
    I also use spray starch to sandwich my quilts.
    I have used both no problem with my machine and wash you project in warm water when you are finished.
    Old 12-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Littledreamdevil
    I use Elmer's white washable liquid school glue with no problems.I use this for quilting.
    I let it dry or if I am in a hurry you can iron it dry.
    I also use spray starch to sandwich my quilts.
    I have used both no problem with my machine and wash you project in warm water when you are finished.
    You use "spray starch" to sandwich your quilts?
    Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 PM

I have never had problems with glue gumming up my machine.. and I don't even let it dry. I made a few denim quilts and I put the glue on several spots and then went right to sewing no problems

I did try to use the glue this weekend on some homespun fabric on binding and it wouldn't stick. I didn't try to use the iron to dry it.. but I was disappointed that it wouldn't stick. So that is an issue I have to figure out yet..
    Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 PM

I just realized that many of us were giving instructions as if these are cotton slacks you are hemming. If they're not, no worries about your machine, but do be careful with the slacks themselves. Unless they are cotton, I would test the glue on a small area to make sure it won't leave any marks (I've never had issues with a glue stick, but did stain a poly-rayon blend pair of pants once with liquid Washable School Glue - I tried letting it dry, ironing on low heat & washing but the light blue fabric permanently turned a pink-purple color).

I have used a washable glue stick on jeans & a poly-cotton blend pants & it always came out fine in cold water (I never wash my jeans in warm water and the blend was a dark fabric that I also wash in cold water). I didn't notice any glue residue after a single time through the wash.
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 PM

I have used the washable glue sticks on black yoga pants (poly) and fleece pants as well. The needle never gets clogged and the glue has not stained the pants.
    Old 12-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Yes you can use spray starch to sandwich quilt together. This is a no pin method similar to using "glue method".
    how to do spray starch method.
    Lay back piece of quilt fabric flat. Get all wrinkles out of fabric. Spray the starch on fabric to lightly wet fabric. Give fabric a few minute to soak in starch.
    Place batting on top of fabric. Get all wrinkles out of batting. ( the starch will act like glue sticking the batting to the fabric).
    Spray top of Batting lightly. Give batting few minute for starch to soak in batting.
    Place top piece of you quilt fabric on batting. Get all wrinkles out of top piece of fabric. Let quilt sandwich dry, (you can iron if you are in hurry, but let quilt lay flat while you iron).
    When your quilt is dry your quilt will be sandwiched (stuck) together and you can quilt it any way you like.This method works well for me. I use this method or the" glue method". I do know you can also use "hair spray" to sandwich a quilt but I have not tried "Hair spray method". The idea to any of these methods are to "stick" you quilt sandwich together and not use pins.