Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Glue Stick For Basting

Glue Stick For Basting

Will it clog up my machine if I use a glue stick to baste a hem? And if it's possible to use it, will I need to let the glue completely dry before I sew the hem down it? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

It has never clogged my machine. I usually dry it with an iron first.

Blog Entries
    What kind of glue? I use Elmer's white washable liquid school glue with no problems. I put it on in tiny drops and either let dry or iron to dry faster before sewing. However, using the wrong kind of glue can create problems.

What is the brand and type of glue stick you are thinking of using?

Blog Entries
    I use washable glue sticks, the glue just dissolves, washes away, no clogging. I put the glue on, fold, press with the iron. Holds well while stitching and washes away. I buy cheapy glue sticks from the dollar store 2 or 4 packs for $1. Been using them for years
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I allow the glue to dry for at least a few hours & it's never gummed up my machine/needle.

I am very careful and only use it in the corner of the binding. The Clover clips keep the binding in position so easily when hand sewing my binding to the back.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My experience with Elmer's washable school glue or any of the generic versions I've tried, or washable glue sticks, any brand, is that if I let them dry completely they have never gummed up a needle and so far for me they have washed out completely.
    Alyce

If you let the glue dry completely before stitching, you won't have any problems.....if you need to "help" it dry, use the iron....it always washes out for me....warm water, long wash time and regular detergent

Blog Entries
    As long as it's washable glue it's fine good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    If you let the glue dry completely before stitching, you won't have any problems.....if you need to "help" it dry, use the iron....it always washes out for me....warm water, long wash time and regular detergent
    This is important: warm water, long wash time, and a little detergent.

I've had a little glue showing on the finished quilt when I tried to wash in cold water.

No problem with gumming. There is no "gum" in that washable school glue.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I use Elmer's white washable liquid school glue with no problems.I use this for quilting.
    I let it dry or if I am in a hurry you can iron it dry.
    I also use spray starch to sandwich my quilts.
    I have used both no problem with my machine and wash you project in warm water when you are finished.
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Littledreamdevil View Post
    I use Elmer's white washable liquid school glue with no problems.I use this for quilting.
    I let it dry or if I am in a hurry you can iron it dry.
    I also use spray starch to sandwich my quilts.
    I have used both no problem with my machine and wash you project in warm water when you are finished.
    You use "spray starch" to sandwich your quilts?

I have never had problems with glue gumming up my machine.. and I don't even let it dry. I made a few denim quilts and I put the glue on several spots and then went right to sewing no problems

I did try to use the glue this weekend on some homespun fabric on binding and it wouldn't stick. I didn't try to use the iron to dry it.. but I was disappointed that it wouldn't stick. So that is an issue I have to figure out yet..

I just realized that many of us were giving instructions as if these are cotton slacks you are hemming. If they're not, no worries about your machine, but do be careful with the slacks themselves. Unless they are cotton, I would test the glue on a small area to make sure it won't leave any marks (I've never had issues with a glue stick, but did stain a poly-rayon blend pair of pants once with liquid Washable School Glue - I tried letting it dry, ironing on low heat & washing but the light blue fabric permanently turned a pink-purple color).

I have used a washable glue stick on jeans & a poly-cotton blend pants & it always came out fine in cold water (I never wash my jeans in warm water and the blend was a dark fabric that I also wash in cold water). I didn't notice any glue residue after a single time through the wash.

I have used the washable glue sticks on black yoga pants (poly) and fleece pants as well. The needle never gets clogged and the glue has not stained the pants.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Yes you can use spray starch to sandwich quilt together. This is a no pin method similar to using "glue method".
    how to do spray starch method.
    Lay back piece of quilt fabric flat. Get all wrinkles out of fabric. Spray the starch on fabric to lightly wet fabric. Give fabric a few minute to soak in starch.
    Place batting on top of fabric. Get all wrinkles out of batting. ( the starch will act like glue sticking the batting to the fabric).
    Spray top of Batting lightly. Give batting few minute for starch to soak in batting.
    Place top piece of you quilt fabric on batting. Get all wrinkles out of top piece of fabric. Let quilt sandwich dry, (you can iron if you are in hurry, but let quilt lay flat while you iron).
    When your quilt is dry your quilt will be sandwiched (stuck) together and you can quilt it any way you like.This method works well for me. I use this method or the" glue method". I do know you can also use "hair spray" to sandwich a quilt but I have not tried "Hair spray method". The idea to any of these methods are to "stick" you quilt sandwich together and not use pins.
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".