Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Wow - thank you! >

Glue Wow - thank you!

Glue Wow - thank you!

Old 05-06-2020, 04:43 PM

Default Glue Wow - thank you!

I am so happy right now that I just need to share. I tried to find the post about gluing seams and gave up. Whoever wrote about it, YO. It might just be the best thing since sliced bread. I zipped right through my row. I didn’t have to rip out one seam, .

I also bought a cordless iron and it’s perfect for my space. I wound up getting the Panasonic 360.

What a good end to a day. Have a good night.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2020 at 03:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

So many good tips on this board. I'm happy for you!
And let us know how you like your new iron. I've read good things about it.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:18 PM

I feel your excitement! I personally haven't glued seams yet, but I do glue baste my quilt sandwiches. I felt the same way as you after I did my first: beyond thrilled!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:56 PM

I"ve started using a glue stick or Elmer's to glue all my "intersections" when I put my blocks together. They come out perfect every time. No pinning, no ripping. It's amazing!

This board has the best tips for making things easier.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 PM

Doesn't the glue gum up the needle and thread when you sew through it. Jenny
Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 AM

I am excited for you. There are so many good ideas on here. It feels so good when you discover a trick, try it, accomplish it and add another skill to your toolbox. I could never buy enough books, watch enough tutorials, or take enough classes to replace what I have learned by reading on here. I am so grateful for this quilting board.

Bluebird, Elmers washable school glue, used for seams, basting, or binding, when dry will not gum up your needle, apply and hit it with an iron after. I bought the Arlenes glue many years ago, and I still have the bottles and multiple tips and I have been refilling the bottles with Elmers washable school glue since reading about it on here. I use it for my bindings, I iron after and have never had a problem with any of my needles.

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 05-07-2020 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird56 View Post
Doesn't the glue gum up the needle and thread when you sew through it. Jenny
When I first read about it, that’s what I thought too. I trusted the people on this board that they wouldn’t do something to ruin their machine. I only used a tiny bit of glue and hit it with the iron to dry it. If there’s any other tips, I’m hoping someone will add here. The only thing is if you need to press the seams open, I don’t see a way to do that.

Susie- First use of the iron was good and did the job fine. My ironing space is a bit cramped and the cord was just in the way. So I really like it for that reason. As I started using it, I realized how much of a pain the cord really is even with optimal setup. I guess it’s something you just get used to. I went for the ceramic version instead of steel in case glue got on the sole plate. Ceramic can just be wiped. As a side note, this iron is getting to be hard to find. I was going to get one from Amazon warehouse for 1/2 off, someone bought it from under me. Then I went to HSN where they had 9 rose gold color in stock. The next day, they were all gone. My impatience got the best of me and I picked up a new full-priced one from Amazon and it came with a small ironing board. If I run into low heat issues, I’m going to try the other tip someone posted and use the copper BBQ sheets. Also going to look into making a wool seam press. I just need to figure out how to press seams open when gluing them.

Last edited by Mazo; 05-07-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I have also used a glue stick for small appliqués and sticking a turned under hem before stitching.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
I am so happy right now that I just need to share. I tried to find the post about gluing seams and gave up. Whoever wrote about it, YO. It might just be the best thing since sliced bread. I zipped right through my row. I didn’t have to rip out one seam, .

I also bought a cordless iron and it’s perfect for my space. I wound up getting the Panasonic 360.

What a good end to a day. Have a good night.
I also use Elmer's school glue on my Farm Girl blocks, especially the ones with the little corners. Just a couple of dots holds the square in place while stitching and is cut off after. Works so much better than pinning on those little 6" blocks.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:12 AM

I glue all my hand stitched bindings a la Sharon Schamber and they come out perfect. You can even use a yardstick to make sure they are stick straight. Works perfectly. I don't usually have a problem with intersections, but I may try this trick with that as well.

Watson