Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gluing is GREAT! >

Gluing is GREAT!

Gluing is GREAT!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Good to know. Having heard about using it for binding, I was thinking of using it to hold the rows of Easy Street instead of pins. Chickened out and went with the pins... Next time around, when doing something that big, I'm going to give the glue a whirl. Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM

I love the glue for basting quilt sandwiches and bindings. So when does the glue NOT work?
I had taken some GFG hexes along to Peru to do in down time. While I was hand basting the seam allowances, I thought there must be an easier way. (I'm certainly not fond of hand sewing.) I didn't think I could glue because I knew I couldn't glue the seam allowance to the paper inserts. Then I figured out to just do the corners and just put the glue on the edges, not on the paper. I did a hundred or so and passed them out. (We are finishing up this GFG that we got from a lady who got sick and couldn't finish it. She had THOUSANDS of hexes already basted, but there were many more to go. There are about ten of us working on this.) So, I found out that with only the corners glued, the papers fall out before the last few sides are sewn. It's really hard to put those papers back in so the rest can be sewn. Back to hand basting. At least I have help.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Thats good to know you shouldn't use glue to do the hexies! I had thought about it when stitching away, and wondering if there were an easier way. LOL. I have had papers fall out, and it is a bear to get them back in, so I now take one fairly large stitch in each "flat" side of the hexie. When its time to remove the papers, I just clip the stitch on the front, so when I remove the paper, it pulls all the threads to the back side. Papers won't fall out, and that extra stitch seems to stableize the fabric for stitching. How nice you you all to finish the GFG for your sick friend.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I used the school glue on a couple of table runners to try it out. Just LOVE it!!! No spray fumes, no pins to reposition, no long, drawn out basting session. This will be my favorite way to baste from now on!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Good to know. Having heard about using it for binding, I was thinking of using it to hold the rows of Easy Street instead of pins. Chickened out and went with the pins... Next time around, when doing something that big, I'm going to give the glue a whirl. Thanks again!
I'm working on Easy Street too (easy it isn't!) and have used Elmer's School glue on the entire thing. Those points come together beautifully. If I do pin, it's way low away from the seam line, just to keep the whole piece of fabric from shifting! I'll never piece again without the use of this glue. It hits it right on the money and if not, easy peasy, rip, dot of glue and go again.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Can you all tell me if you all use the special thin nozzle that I've read about others using. I have looked every place but can't seem to find one. If so, where do you find it? Iii'm afraid to use the glue without one for fear of putting it on too heavy. Thanks,
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM

I haven't tried gluing but I might try it when I sew my tiles together for my Dashing Through The Snow instead of using a twin needle..................calla
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM

I think the trick in matching points is to use a very small drop on the seam, right? Is it really faster to sew a seam since you have to press it? Would it be easier/faster if you used the little Clover iron? Do you do this on your pressing board? Lots of questions tonight. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by piecNpat View Post
I think the trick in matching points is to use a very small drop on the seam, right? Is it really faster to sew a seam since you have to press it? Would it be easier/faster if you used the little Clover iron? Do you do this on your pressing board? Lots of questions tonight. Thanks.
You don't have to press it. Just hold it together with your fingers for about 3-4 seconds and move to the next seam. If you have something like 5 small pieces making a row, just put a pin in the middle of the construct somewhere to hold everything in place and proceed to sew.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Just a few questions:
Is there a difference between using the Elmers glue stick or the liquid glue in a bottle?
Does one work better than the other for different sewing?
Does anyone use it for applique instead of starch?