Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!! >

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

I love the Superior monopoly....it is amazing...BUT you do have to use the right needle, right tension, etc...makes a world of wrong if you don't!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Invisible thread needs to come off the side of the spool, not the top. Pulling it off the top of the spool causes it to twist and pool around the base of the spool. Cross wound threads need to come off the top of the spool. Stack wound needs to come off the side. If the thread doesn't make xes on the spool it's stack wound.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Invisible thread needs to come off the side of the spool, not the top. Pulling it off the top of the spool causes it to twist and pool around the base of the spool. Cross wound threads need to come off the top of the spool. Stack wound needs to come off the side. If the thread doesn't make xes on the spool it's stack wound.
I appreciate your very clear explanation. I learn something new everyday here. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 AM

I have just started using this thread to do some applique using 60/2 embroidery thread in the bobbin and a size 8 needle and loosening the upper tension. I am so impressed, it looks like hand applique. At first I had trouble with the bobbin thread showing on the zigzag stitch until I switched to the smaller needle. The brand I had in the house was Sew Art International. I'll have to try the Superior brand in the future. This thread was timely because I haven't ironed it yet, do you think I have to use a lower setting in my iron? So far it doesn't feel stiff, rough, or prickly. Since my stitches are so close together I don't secure or tie the ends, just sew over the beginning for a quarter in or so.

Last edited by quiltbuddy; 11-07-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 AM

I occasionally use it but I use Sulky monofiliment. It makes a difference in using a quality thread and not the cheap stuff. Also some machines just plain don't like it! I have one machine that is that way. The machine that I use most is fine with using it. I start out on a sample to get the tension adjusted then I have no problems
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Red face I thought it was just me!

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I did a quilt class at my LQS and made a "Quilt As You Go" Quilt. It turned out pretty darn good (well, I am almost finished, just need to do the borders). But, it was such a pain in the keester!!

It consists of 10 inch blocks each joined by sashing and the top front side edge of the sashing is sewn down using monofilament thread in a small zig zag stitch. It involved a lot of switching back and forth between regular thread and the monofilament thread (as you do things in a certain sequence) so a lot of threading the machine. At first it was just hard to work with thread you can't SEE but mid way through I had a lot of tension problems where the bobbin thread broke (both top side and bobbin are monofilament) but towards the last row I did, the top thread kept breaking as the thread would unspool from the spool then wrap around the thread "peg" and then tighten and snap. The top thread broke 5 times sewing my last set of rows together.

I still have to join the borders to the quilt and will definately be using my decorative thread that I used for the quilting instead of the monofilament to sew down the sashing. The instructor mentioned this as an option in the class and 9 out of 11 people chose to use their regular/decorative thread instead of the monofilament. I felt that if I didn't try it, I wouldn't know if I could do it or not. Now that I have done it, I'm not sure it SHOULD be done. Such a pain!!!

Anyway, I don't see myself working with monofilament thread and completely tip my hat to anyone that is able to. The instructor of our class acted like it was no big deal--she had over 15 gorgeous quilts at the class that she has made and they all used monofilament thread.
I also used it for the first time last week. It was a disaster, with all the problems you just mentioned! Plus I couldn't see it to thread the needle. But I did not have it on a vertical pin - will try the jar in back of machine hint if I ever get enough courage up to tackle it again!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 AM

I'm currently using monofilament thread and I hate it! Unfortunately, I'm too far into quilting to change it. I'll never use it again either!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 AM

I use it for applique only. Cotton in bobbin, clear on top and adjust top tension just a bit. If you use it for free motion you do get pokies and it's to expensive to use to assemble you quilt blocks. JMHO
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 AM

I use monofilament thread when machine quilting in the ditch to blend in with the backing fabric.
I stand my thread upright on the spool holder to fill my bobbins.
A few times I have stitched with this thread as well, never had a problem.
I never make any adjustments to my machine, maybe some machines will need some adjustments.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 AM

Apparently there are different types of mono thread. When I bought some fancy feet for my sewing machines, the woman advised using only 'lingerie' monofilament thread. I did purchase it (sorry don't know brand name) and I've had good luck using it...except of course for seeing it!

Last edited by quiltinghere; 11-07-2011 at 05:28 AM.