Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going Camping >

Going Camping

Going Camping

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shelia
We're leaving next Thursday for 5 days to go on our Annual Spring Break Camping Trip. Our grandchildren will be with us, along with our two dogs. I'm all about the hiking, walking, bike riding, dutch oven/over the fire cooking and kite flying. My grandchildren have even nicknamed me "Action Granny".

Well, I asked my hubby last night "if I take my sewing machine, will it pull too much current from the electrical box?" We have a small travel trailer and I could set my machine up on the table. He says "no, I'll just run an extension cord directly to your machine...WHAT???? You're going to take your sewing machine camping?????" Like that was a bad thing! Like it's something that has never been done before.

Has anyone ever taken their sewing machine camping with them? Mine will miss me terribly.

Shelia
Never tried taking my machine, but I've knitted while camping out. Just might have to buy a small sewing machine, and just leave it in the trailer. Great idea! :thumbup:
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 AM

When we finally started camping without kids I used to take hand work with me. Then we got our motorhome and DH said quote, " If you take that sewing machine in the MH, I'm leaving." I never did.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 AM

sniff sniff.. waaaahhh haaaaaaaa I won't be doing any camping this summer with a small infant!!! Trevor and I loooove to camp and hike and enjoy the great outdoors.

I have never taken my sewing machine with me as it is hard to plug it into a tree (we camp in a tent) LOL, but I think I have taken some small hand sewing projects with me. usually it doesn't get looked at cause we are too tired from all the hiking and exploring we tend to do during the day. By the time we get back to our camp site for supper we are too tired to do anything besides sit by the fire, eat supper and sip a glass of wine :)
Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 AM

I would be afraid to take my machine camping. Possibility of it getting damaged. Besides you are there to camp and spend time with the grand children. Sew when you get home.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
sniff sniff.. waaaahhh haaaaaaaa I won't be doing any camping this summer with a small infant!!! Trevor and I loooove to camp and hike and enjoy the great outdoors.

I have never taken my sewing machine with me as it is hard to plug it into a tree (we camp in a tent) LOL, but I think I have taken some small hand sewing projects with me. usually it doesn't get looked at cause we are too tired from all the hiking and exploring we tend to do during the day. By the time we get back to our camp site for supper we are too tired to do anything besides sit by the fire, eat supper and sip a glass of wine :)
Why won't you take the baby camping? We took our children from 5 weeks of age and we tent camped. The fold down stroller made a perfect bed and it fit in the tent. We had a big umbrella for over the pack and play outside, did lots of walks on the packed trails. I can tell you it will be easier this year than when they start walking! My grandkids have also gone camping since infants.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 AM

My little Featherweight is the first thing to be loaded when we head out in our fifth wheel. We winter in Texas and I wouldn't dream of being without my machine. Course it may not be considered real camping-more like living in an RV. On rainy days or when DH is out on his scooter, I can always be found inside behind the little Singer.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM

I'll be bringing my singer featherweight this week - Spring Break - we're going to a bayside cabin. I figured I could get in a lot of piecing done. Who know's if it will happen, but the intent is there. Also I know of 2 Quilt shops nearby...
Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

I would like to hve a feather weitht for my RV.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

We tent camp so there is no sewing machine, but if I had a camper.....even a small one it would go with me.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

I have note, but that would be a wonderful thing to do. Penny