Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Going completely crazy....

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    My hand stitched 1" GFG top is almost finished and in some delusional moment in my life, lol, I've decided I want a 1/2" GFG quilt. Anyone want to help cut out 1/2" hexs? Geez, this is when I think it would be great to have grandkids, lololol.....

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Have a good trip!

  3. #3
    Senior Member MoanaWahine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    349
    My Aunt is creating a 1" GFG. From those scraps she is creating a 1/2" GFG. From those scraps she is creating what I believe is a 1/4" GFG. All by hand. As she says, she does not have scraps left after the 1/4" pieces are cut out. :shock:

    What I saw of them this past summer it was amazing what she has done with all three of them at the same time. Have fun with yours and it will turn out wonderful!! :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Have a good trip!
    Ditto that! :lol:

    I'm positive it will be gorgeous when you are through, but I surely don't have the patience, the finger dexterity or the eye sight to do stuff that small any more! :lol:

  5. #5
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Have a good trip!
    Will it be king sized?

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    metro Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,278
    Oh my goodness, ditto to the no longer have the hand and finger dexterity.

  7. #7
    Senior Member humbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    975
    Congrats on having your 1" GFG nearly finished! If you google "Insanity Quilt" you should come up with several quilts using 1/2 inch hexies. Someone else on this thread mentioned 1/4 in. That lady deserves a Purple Ribbon for sure! I have done a few 1/2 in to use in applique border. They are so cute, but don't think I'll start a whole quilt very soon! Have fun! You can do it!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Granny Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    WY
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Have a good trip!
    Ditto that! :lol:

    I'm positive it will be gorgeous when you are through, but I surely don't have the patience, the finger dexterity or the eye sight to do stuff that small any more! :lol:
    that makes 3 of us!

  9. #9
    Izy
    Izy is offline
    Super Member Izy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Halifax, W. Yorks, U.K.
    Posts
    5,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    My hand stitched 1" GFG top is almost finished and in some delusional moment in my life, lol, I've decided I want a 1/2" GFG quilt. Anyone want to help cut out 1/2" hexs? Geez, this is when I think it would be great to have grandkids, lololol.....
    Can't you just use 1" squares? I would LOVE to see this when you do it

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jennie and Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N.W. Missouri
    Posts
    834
    I started one using the 3/4" hexes. That's as far as I've gotten. Saw the 1/4" ones and those are so cute and soooo tiny, but I would like to try them. I need to draft out my plan/pattern for the bigger one

  11. #11
    Izy
    Izy is offline
    Super Member Izy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Halifax, W. Yorks, U.K.
    Posts
    5,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    My hand stitched 1" GFG top is almost finished and in some delusional moment in my life, lol, I've decided I want a 1/2" GFG quilt. Anyone want to help cut out 1/2" hexs? Geez, this is when I think it would be great to have grandkids, lololol.....
    Can't you just use 1" squares? I would LOVE to see this when you do it

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I meant to say, cutting 1"squares with your rotary cutter would be quicker to make the 1/2" hex's with, rather than cut hexagons out !! :thumbup:

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    346
    Oh way too advanced for me right now, but you have my respect.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrow99
    Oh way too advanced for me right now, but you have my respect.
    Ccrow99. I think paper piece hexagons are the easiest thing you can do as a quilter. The hard part is cutting out all of those hexs. I printed mine out of the computer and cut them all out by hand. My quilt is somewhere between a queen and king size. I haven't measured it yet. Then, it's just a matter of covering the paper pieces and whip stitching them together. Look for a tut, you'll be amazed at how easy it is. AND, it's soooo portable until you start whipp stitching them together and your quilt top gets sooo big, depending on your size. It's soooo much fun. The only downfall, it takes a long long long time. I've been working on mine for over 2 years, this is NOT a short term project. Go for it, you can do it!

  14. #14
    Super Member kiffie2413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,813
    Blog Entries
    1
    Congrats on what you have done...and good luck on your next one!!!
    Kif

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    Izy, I do use squares to start with but if the squares are too big they overlap way too much on the back. I use squares but then trim them after I've basted them on to the papers to the 1/4" allowance, I don't cut out hexs from my fabric. Is that what you meant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    My hand stitched 1" GFG top is almost finished and in some delusional moment in my life, lol, I've decided I want a 1/2" GFG quilt. Anyone want to help cut out 1/2" hexs? Geez, this is when I think it would be great to have grandkids, lololol.....
    Can't you just use 1" squares? I would LOVE to see this when you do it

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I meant to say, cutting 1"squares with your rotary cutter would be quicker to make the 1/2" hex's with, rather than cut hexagons out !! :thumbup:

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Have a good trip!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    355
    I may be totally deaf, dumb and blind too when I'm finished but, hopefully, it will be one gorgeous quilt, lolol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Have a good trip!
    Ditto that! :lol:

    I'm positive it will be gorgeous when you are through, but I surely don't have the patience, the finger dexterity or the eye sight to do stuff that small any more! :lol:

  18. #18
    Izy
    Izy is offline
    Super Member Izy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Halifax, W. Yorks, U.K.
    Posts
    5,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    Izy, I do use squares to start with but if the squares are too big they overlap way too much on the back. I use squares but then trim them after I've basted them on to the papers to the 1/4" allowance, I don't cut out hexs from my fabric. Is that what you meant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    My hand stitched 1" GFG top is almost finished and in some delusional moment in my life, lol, I've decided I want a 1/2" GFG quilt. Anyone want to help cut out 1/2" hexs? Geez, this is when I think it would be great to have grandkids, lololol.....
    Can't you just use 1" squares? I would LOVE to see this when you do it

    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I meant to say, cutting 1"squares with your rotary cutter would be quicker to make the 1/2" hex's with, rather than cut hexagons out !! :thumbup:
    Yes exactly, when I was making mine (still WIP!) I hand cut out hexagons, takes forever, then discovered cutting squares and trimming up after basting to papers to be easier :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

    Can't wait to see your next one! :thumbup:

  19. #19
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,774
    Blog Entries
    4
    I'm doing one with 3/8" hexies. :) PM me if you'd like any of my 1" squares. I'll send a package to you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.