Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to the experts >

Going to the experts

Going to the experts

Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 AM

I want to second what others have said about stopping magazine subscriptions. After getting subscriptions for years and putting the magazines in binders, I finally decided that I was tired of magazines.

Now I do what a lot of others mentioned. I get them from the library. My library allows me to put a hold on a previous month's magazine and when it is available, I can get it and take it home. I can look at it, enjoy it and then take it back to the library where I don't have to store it.

If there is an issue that I have just got to have, I'll order it online. I have found that there are very few magazines that I have to have.

Someone mentioned one issue a few weeks ago. I loved it and ordered it online. Then I went out and bought a 2nd issue. I'm giving one to my quilting buddy.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM

I have not read all the responses to which quilt magazine but thought I would jump in.
Instead of a magazine how about a book?
One book I recommend to all my quilting students
"The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guild " is one that covers everything you need to know to get started and beyond. There are other good books out there and I have some of them, but this is my favorite.
a rodale book, Ellen Pahl, editor

Ann
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM

I've been subscribing to QuiltersNewsletter for about 15 years now, have yet to be disappointed in any edition. Have had others over the years, and pick up some at the newstands.

What I've liked over the years with QuiltersNewsletter is the variety of projects, from beginner to advanced - something I could do just starting out, and something to think about to stretch my skills. Their mix of ads to articles is pretty good - I never get the feeling that they were having a bit of a 'lull' in their creative thinking :)

Don't worry about limiting yourself to any one thing - look at everything! Internet, books, magazines, libraries - don't forget to asking quilting friends to borrow some of their favorite resources! Guilds have lending libraries - ours has both books and DVDs, and also a nice collection of the donated photo CD's from shows our members have attended.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all your ideas! I am going to take a look at the The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guild next time I go to Barnes & Noble. That looks like just my style! Then if I like it - it goes on the Christmas list :)
Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM

I would recommend the magazine 'Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting'. It is a good magazine for beginners (and those a bit beyond) and you can even follow along with the patterns they make on their tv show, which airs on PBS on Sunday afternoons. (At least here in southeastern Idaho it does.) A lot of times the patterns they make on their tv show are in the magazine, which is quite helpful! They've also got a lot of wonderful information on their website. Just clickhere to check it out.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:03 PM

i quit getting magazines it seems like they are getting to be full of advertiseing and less projects
i go to the library or look at them in the store and if i like them i buy them from the stand
Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

No subscriptions for me...just the library, thrift stores and second hand book stores. I always find books are better and it is surprising how many really good books are available second hand. There is now this site in my life, and I have to say, more inspiring and thought provoking than any magazine.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM

I also like F & P Love of Quilting ... More economically, I recently hit aq few estate sales and cashed in (cheaply) on bunches of old quilting mags, with far less adds and far more info.

But my main resource is the internet and EQ6. This I love and it is a tiresess resource for designing your quilts, boarders, sashing, etc. I started with EQ4 (after a year of researching this ... Hubby is a Puter Geek and helped with the research). This software is amazing and lots of fun to play with.

Good Luck and welcomr to the wonderful world of quilting!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Sorry for the typos ... it's late and the wine was yummy.

Again, there are many, many FREE links on the web. Many tutorials and if you see a pattern you like, one of us can probably find you a tutorial,

This site has a link for resources and tutorials. Also we lots of times help each other with finding particular fabrics. I, personally have sent out numerous "squishies" I don't think you will find a more amiable site.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:43 PM

I like McCalls Quick Quilts.