Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Hershey tomorrow >

Going to Hershey tomorrow

Going to Hershey tomorrow

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
sandyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 902
Default

it does smell wonderful there
sandyo is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM
  #12  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
kwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North East USA
Posts: 4,949
Default

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I have been to quiltmakers cottage just last year and they were wonderful there. Maybe give them a chance before saying that there is no quilt shops worth visiting
You are right. I should have said. Their website did not inspire me to visit. It did not say to me "Hey you will love it here" like some do. I may give it a try. I am off now. Thanks.
kwhite is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 5,441
Default

We were in Hershey last Sat. and for a host of reasons went the local route through Lancaster. Granted it was at 5AM and had an agenda so no fabric shopping. But that might be an option for you. If you're going via PA Tpk - jump off at the Morgantown exit and wend your way through the Lancaster area before going to Hershey???? Just a thought.
NJ Quilter is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
  #14  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
kwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North East USA
Posts: 4,949
Default

Just got home. Lancaster is an awesome trip. It is a whole day destination in the wrong direction for me unfortunately. I went to the lone quilt store in Hershey. It is OK. Too little and too expensive for my taste. I did tell them though that their web site leaves a lot to be desired. I bought one thing from the sale table. Maybe next time I will have enough time to venture to Lancaster too. I would love to go back there.
kwhite is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
AbbyQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 547
Default

Originally Posted by kwhite
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I have been to quiltmakers cottage just last year and they were wonderful there. Maybe give them a chance before saying that there is no quilt shops worth visiting
You are right. I should have said. Their website did not inspire me to visit. It did not say to me "Hey you will love it here" like some do. I may give it a try. I am off now. Thanks.
When I went last September there was 2 rooms full of fabric, a little room with civil war repos and a little corner in the back with markdowns. They ladies there were so friendly they hung out and chatted with me. The shop is bright and friendly and they have everything form fat quarters to kits.

If you still find they are not what you are looking for there was some fabric places 30 mins or so from them. One was a discount place that sounded really neat but I didnt get a chance to make it. I cant remember the name but I will try and find it
AbbyQuilts is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
AbbyQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 547
Default

Originally Posted by kwhite
Just got home. Lancaster is an awesome trip. It is a whole day destination in the wrong direction for me unfortunately. I went to the lone quilt store in Hershey. It is OK. Too little and too expensive for my taste. I did tell them though that their web site leaves a lot to be desired. I bought one thing from the sale table. Maybe next time I will have enough time to venture to Lancaster too. I would love to go back there.
Oops didnt see your new post. Sorry that you didnt find quiltmakers to be your cup of tea but at least you found something.

Thats why they say everyone is different. What is nice to me may not be to you. I have a quilt shop near me that I dont care for much but others like it ohh well. Hope you had a good trip
AbbyQuilts is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
  #17  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
kwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North East USA
Posts: 4,949
Default

Thanks Abby. There is one in Lancaster called Ollie's or something like that that I just can't wait to go to.

Obie's !!!! This is the site. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-in-pa.html Now THIS intrigues me!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239607.jpe   attachment-239608.jpe   attachment-239609.jpe   attachment-239610.jpe  
kwhite is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
AbbyQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 547
Default

Originally Posted by kwhite
Thanks Abby. There is one in Lancaster called Ollie's or something like that that I just can't wait to go to.

Obie's !!!! This is the site. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-in-pa.html Now THIS intrigues me!!!
Your not the only one!!!!! :shock: :XD:
Wow I think I may just have to visit there

I dont know where you are in the north east but there is a place called Surplus City Inc. They have a few locations. I went there and there was a ton of fabric quilt shop quality for 3-4$ a yard.
Its hit or miss because they buy surplus and old stock but I liked that place
AbbyQuilts is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
  #19  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
kwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North East USA
Posts: 4,949
Default

Yeah i love them. They are in Altoona and I make it down that way once or twice a year. It is a must see.
kwhite is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
AbbyQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 547
Default

Originally Posted by kwhite
Yeah i love them. They are in Altoona and I make it down that way once or twice a year. It is a must see.
Thats the one I went to lol. I have to make it back there soon. I wanted to go last month but didnt get to make it.
When I went I did get a pair of Gingher dress maker scissors for 5.00. Tons of knitting things and a few fabircs.
AbbyQuilts is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sunni
Main
9
07-29-2011 06:30 AM
GladGrams
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
1
07-23-2010 05:25 PM
GladGrams
Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
24
07-06-2010 03:45 PM
kwhite
Main
14
07-09-2009 01:12 AM
Minda
Main
12
07-27-2008 06:45 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.